Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Missing? Pfff, i don't get it"  (Read 1297 times)

Tsirkul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Missing? Pfff, i don't get it"
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »

I don't pretend to be a discoverer of this one, but i neither saw a thread like this one on three previous pages, so...
Looks like i researched an interesting exploit way to control dorfs' population. Here we have ADS, linked to a lever, of course. Then we place cats inside an area, that is going to be desintegrated, and PULL THE DAMN LEVER. Okay, cats are smashed, we don't have even their remains, but dorf, who was passing by, is too sensitive one, and he tells about the cats' death to all fortress. Of course, those dorfs, who lost their cats, will get an unhappy thought, then, maybe, tantrum, and then we have FUN. Sad, but true.
However, when we create a death chamber, that is far from anyone's sight, the cat can't even react of being smashed, and become a missing one.  And, listen carefully, pet's owner doesn't get any unhappy thought. Missing doesn't mean dead, he thinks even after a week or a month.
So I had a research, which dot the i's. I started a new world of pochet size and tiny history just to test it. There was ten cats at the embark, but no one loved them, so they "mystically disappeared" under the bridge. Then i looked through dorfs' relationships and found out that Urist McWoodworker was a friend for a Urist McLeader. So:
1) Urist McWoodworker was the first victim. No one saw his death, so he became missing one. After a week i had a message about his missing, but Expedition Leader was still happy of having talk with friend recently, and didn't have any bad thoughts. He just forgot his non-existing friend. No body - no sorrow. I was watching his condition for the next three monthes and nothing changed.
2) Urist McDeadWoodworker did never changed his status to dead one, but there appeared an opportunity to engrave the slab by his name. He didn't become a ghost, but it can be because only of six monthes passed in the game.
3) Smashed dorfs don't have time to tell anyone of their death, even if two or more of them are being smashed together at one time at in the line of vision of each other.
4) Final experiment: a child who had two parents on the game map, have been taking to a death chamber. Even parents momentary forget about their only son, and become happy of having a decent drink.
As a result - here we have an exploit, which allows us to control dorfs' population and fight with catsplosion, FPS-death, nobles and those, who are out of favour of Big Brother. Enjoy  :)

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Missing? Pfff, i don't get it"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »

but this would take the !FUN! out of the funeral!  :-\
ghosts may take a long time to appear though, would be interesting to see if they actually "touch" the fortress when they mysteriosly disappear in remote fun chambers....

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:39 pm »

you could still slab them.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:58:23 am »

Where's the fun in atom-smashing them so nobody knows they're missing?

Kill them and keep their body somewhere undiscovered! Then, when all the relatives and friends are ecstatic, send somebody to retrieve (or dispose!) of the body!

This way, sooner or later you'll get dwarves that just don't care about their friends. "Oh, Urist McBFF was mauled by a rabid grizzly bear. How sad. Now we'll need somebody else to cut all those trees. Oh well, back to work it is now!"