Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tracks semaphores & multiple carts  (Read 702 times)

Titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tracks semaphores & multiple carts
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:19 am »

I think it would be nice to have multiple carts per track, and either semaphores, or conditions that emulate them (no moving the cart until the next moves, etc), so we could have something like Railroad Tycoon.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks semaphores & multiple carts
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:17 am »

Like a traffic light? Could be good. Probably beyond my engineering skills.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:37 am »

Can't you use a gear to invert the signal from a pressure plate on the tracks, and have that plate control whether a powered roller track section is powered or not based on whether the cart ahead of that position is on the plate currently?

>>===R===>>===P===>>

>> direction of travel
R rollers
P pressure plate
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

I can see it now....

On topic: seems like a good idea :P

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:47 am »

I think you could manage something by doing this kind of thing:

=.<</>>.==
....^.<<
........^..

=  -EW track
^ -N/E corner track
>> -powered roller sending cart to the right
<< -powered roller sending cart to the left

Carts enter from the bottom.  If you want them sent to the left, have power to the left roller.  Otherwise, they skip over it & are sent right.  I suppose you could use some configuration of pressure plates & weights to switch the rollers on or off, or just do it manually.

Also:  Ding.  Ding ding! Dingdingdingdingding!
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:25 am »

Can't you use a gear to invert the signal from a pressure plate on the tracks, and have that plate control whether a powered roller track section is powered or not based on whether the cart ahead of that position is on the plate currently?

>>===R===>>===P===>>

>> direction of travel
R rollers
P pressure plate
This is actually quite similar (at least in concept) to how real-world railways are operated. You might need a 2x2 coupling of plates/rollers though, to provide both entrance and exit notifications for sections.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »

I think you could manage something by doing this kind of thing:

=.<</>>.==
....^.<<
........^..

=  -EW track
^ -N/E corner track
>> -powered roller sending cart to the right
<< -powered roller sending cart to the left

Carts enter from the bottom.  If you want them sent to the left, have power to the left roller.  Otherwise, they skip over it & are sent right.  I suppose you could use some configuration of pressure plates & weights to switch the rollers on or off, or just do it manually.

Also:  Ding.  Ding ding! Dingdingdingdingding!
Is it bad that I recognized that as a slurry of emotes before I saw the diagram?