Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Racoons of Death  (Read 10454 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Racoons of Death
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 07:54:18 am »

Yea, for being stalwart dwarves they seem to be kind of skiddish. When was the last time you ran from a deer? When was the last time you had an axe and ran from a deer? In fact when was the last time you had an axe, 4 friends with axes, were half drunk on rum, chopping down trees and even noticed a deer?

This made me imagine a big, tough looking dwarf out woodcutting.  He's just chopping trees when he hears a sound off in the distance.  His head snaps up and looks in the direction of the noise, a startled look in his eyes.  He notices the movement as a deer runs along it regular trail through the woods.  Without even taking the time to figure out what animal he just saw(being too drunk to tell the difference between a deer blur and a bear blur) he takes off back to the fortress!  Within minutes, the dwarves in the dining hall are being regaled with his tale of peril on the surface world.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

I thank whoever necroed this thread. Wow, I'd not seen it before. That tale was incredible.. and made me spew my drink. Thank you for making me clean my monitor, it needed it apparently.

This is definately one for the stones. I keep having deer and foxes wander INTO my forts and decide to take up residence in the well room. Really disrupts a fort.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 12:27:28 am »

I thank whoever necroed this thread. Wow, I'd not seen it before. That tale was incredible.. and made me spew my drink. Thank you for making me clean my monitor, it needed it apparently.

This is definately one for the stones. I keep having deer and foxes wander INTO my forts and decide to take up residence in the well room. Really disrupts a fort.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:17 am »

Thread zombified! Awesomeness found!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:50 am »

Racoons are a bit too softcore nowadays. Now, think about badgers!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Racoon sieges are brutal if you aren't prepared.

This reminded me of the following short story:
http://tsa.transform.to/animal/careandfeeding.html

(If only Toady had used stuff like this as a model for his nightcreatures, rather than lame werewolf B-movies....)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 10:29:44 am »

Racoons are a bit too softcore nowadays. Now, think about badgers!
If they had been badgers it would be
  Urist cancels living: interrupted by badger
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2]