Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vigilante Control  (Read 1114 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Vigilante Control
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

So, me and my mom were out walking our dogs in our neighborhood, which is filled with other dogs. We have a fence to keep our dogs in when we aren't walking them. Unfortunately, we live in a backwater hillbilly land from hell where the concept of a fence causes permanent brain damage.

Let's just say if my dog ever gets attacked by another person's dog again they won't have to worry about putting up a fence. Legal channels have done nothing, is there any way to get the few non-corrupt in our town to do something or is being armed at all times the only option anymore? I guess that living in a classy place is the only way to get the town to give a fuck about anything. I've considered taking part in a meeting at Town Hall.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:31:21 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilante Control
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:26:02 pm »

I've calmed down now. Diplomacy ho!
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »

I believe he implied you were a woman who was known for engaging in much coitus with many different partners, and may or may not have done so for monetary recompense.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »

You could try doing it the "correct" way by going through the city or something and maybe get a law passed or adjusted, but it's not likely to work, and if it does it's going to take a while.  Diplomacy with the neighbors is a good alternative, but in my experience it doesn't help much.

Our family has had to deal with neighborhood dogs causing problems.  We had some kill a few of our cats, and that turns my normally very friendly and understanding family into something far less nice.  Talking with the neighbors didn't help.  An AK-47 to the offending dogs did.

Yep, they called the cops, and the cops basically told us that we did the right thing.  The dogs were on our property and destroying it, so we had the right to protect it.  Around here at least, the dogs don't even have to be doing anything on your property.  If they're there, you can kill them without repercussions.  Not that we'd ever do that, of course.

The laws around there might be different, and I'd only suggest it as a last resort, but it's likely to get your neighbors' attention if diplomacy doesn't work.  It's also only legal if the dogs are on your property.  What you can do when you're out on the streets is a lot more limited, and I'll admit I don't really know.

Keep in mind that people are stupid and irrational though, and if you do end up killing or hurting their dogs in a "legitimate" situation they may still try to retaliate.  We're pretty sure one of the guys who lost a dog came by and stole and destroyed some of our stuff in revenge, but at least his freaking dog isn't here killing 14 year old cats anymore.  Worth it to me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:29 am »

And they call this the civilized world... :-\

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:08:39 am »

Ha, then that's good. The dog that tried to kill mine was technically on my property. Well, actually my neighbors property.

He'd better be glad said neighbor wasn't home. A .25 does not hurt like a .40, and I didn't have time to grab the .357 from our house.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:16 am »

Your neighbour's property ain't your property.

And... I think that is not a good path to follow as first-choice. It can get ugly
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

Your neighbour's property ain't your property.

And... I think that is not a good path to follow as first-choice. It can get ugly

I didn't want to. The fact that I could have lost MY dog because of the other dog picking a fight is more than enough reason for that to happen, and it was a different neighbor that brought the gun. I believe that falls under "destruction", and I'm not going to sit back and let some uncontained dog kill another, especially one of mine. I didn't bring the gun the first time but I will from now on.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:02 am »

There was something in the local news here about someone's dog getting attacked and nearly killed by someone else's dog. The victim had two people who were right there confirm what happened, except the idiot who owned the other dog brought in three friends who weren't even present to say "nope, she's innocent, those guys are lying". Of course, she got off and didn't even pay for the other dog's medical expenses (it got fucked up pretty bad).

It just seems like people who own violent dogs are total assholes. Bring the gun, I guess.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:05 am »

As I said, I'm going to try diplomacy if I see the owner and -not- punch his teeth out.
If that dosen't work, half the neighborhood is on the look out for those dogs, so... I'm not going to shoot unless they get in my fence. Some of my neighbors don't have a fence and have the same policy, so...

It's bad that it's the owners fault and not the dogs, but what are we supposed to do, right?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

As I said, I'm going to try diplomacy if I see the owner and -not- punch his teeth out.
If that dosen't work, half the neighborhood is on the look out for those dogs, so... I'm not going to shoot unless they get in my fence. Some of my neighbors don't have a fence and have the same policy, so...

It's bad that it's the owners fault and not the dogs, but what are we supposed to do, right?
Hook up a car battery to your fence?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »

Accidentally lose rat poison in the neighbours garden? That's how some dick killed the dog of a friend.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

That's... no. Not even my neighbors dog, and like I said, he got his so long as it never comes around again.

Apparently they're scared of coming back, and as long as it stays that way, our problem could be resolved.