Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant growth  (Read 781 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Plant growth
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:23 am »

I did a quick search on this, but couldn't find much up-to-date information.

So, I want to make all underground plants grow much slower (which I've already done) and aboveground/all wheat-style plants grow much faster. This is to give some incentive to living aboveground, and because I love wheat.

So far, I've modified plump helmets to be 720 (Exactly 2 months) and sweet pods, quarry bushes and cave wheat to be 504 (Exactly 42 days. The default was 500, 8 hours less than 42 days).

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to modify the other plants as they don't have a growdur that I can see. My question is: How do I modify the other plants growth rates, and what would you recommend for good above/below ground balancing?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:23:05 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant growth
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:04:50 pm »

If they don't have an explicitly stated GROWDUR, they get a default one. The default is 500, IIRC.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »

If you are editing plants personally my suggestion is that you make it so that aboveground plants can not be grown in all seasons, while underground plants should be able to be grown in all seasons. After all the weather/climate below ground never really changes, so it doesn't make sense why some plants can only be grown in certain seasons, while aboveground it changes vastly, meaning it makes no sense that aboveground plants can be grown in all seasons.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:55 pm »

If you are editing plants personally my suggestion is that you make it so that aboveground plants can not be grown in all seasons, while underground plants should be able to be grown in all seasons. After all the weather/climate below ground never really changes, so it doesn't make sense why some plants can only be grown in certain seasons, while aboveground it changes vastly, meaning it makes no sense that aboveground plants can be grown in all seasons.

I don't think any abovegrounds do grow all year. Most only do spring to fall, and not much grows in winter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »

You can grow all above-ground plants in all seasons, vanilla.