Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Framerate  (Read 1457 times)

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

On a 2007 Macbook running Linux I have to do a lot of management to keep FPS acceptable - I usually run/like about 70-100 FPS, if it drops below 30 I declare my fortresses FPS-dead.

I have temperature and weather turned off and keep the amount of dwarfs way down to achieve that (FPS dead according to above definition occurs usually at around 150-200 dwarfs).

My FPS limit is at 200, more is too fast for me.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »

I have absolutely no fudging idea....

I need to enable the framerate counter.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »

I think anything over 30 is acceptable, without having anything like temperature off or mass burning of items. That's at about 100 dwarfs or more.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:54 am »

I usually start around 200 depending on what is present in the fortress as well as how big the area is, and then it drops from there. Personally I used to not like it once it got below 70 or so, but then I realized the secret to running large fortresses... multitasking. On most computers you actually have more getting done in your fortress with more dwarves causing a slowdown in FPS ([20 dwarves]x[200 FPS]=[4000 work] compared to [200 dwarves]x[30 FPS]=[6000 work]), the problem is just that each individual task usually has the same amount of dwarves on it, so it seems like it's going slower. If you work on multiple projects simultaneously or the types of projects that can harness large amounts of dwarves at the same time (such as megaconstructions with lots of buildings to do), then it can "trick" your brain into taking into account the FPS slowdown and things will seem like they are going the same speed, or even faster then they were when you had less dwarves but more FPS.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]