Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmonella Poisoning from Raw Eggs?  (Read 1483 times)

Urist McWhovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Salmonella Poisoning from Raw Eggs?
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:02:20 pm »

I had an idea a while back about raw eggs giving dwarves salmonella poisoning. They could have -say- a 50/50 chance of getting it from raw eggs. To solve this problem, the eggs could be cooked in the Kitchen.
This would probably make the poultry industry harder to manage, though...
I just thought i'd throw that out there. :)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Salmonella Poisoning from Raw Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:43 am »

You already have to cook the raw eggs. At least I haven't noticed any dwarves munching the eggs before my cook gets to them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:20 am »

You can't eat raw eggs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:24 am »

Problem solved :D

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:31:02 am »

Which is odd, because people did and still do eat raw eggs. Considering dwarves, you wouldn't think they would be very fussy as to that regard.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:41:24 am »

Figure out some way to code in realistic discouragement against eating raw eggs, then make dwarves not eat sickness-inducing eggs when plump helmets are around, and sure.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:45:32 pm »

Perhaps Dwarves should only seek to eat raw eggs when confronted with ravenous hunger, a bit like when they hunt for small creatures when starving.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »

Sensible.
Sig

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

You can't eat raw eggs.
If you make a creature lay eggs where at least one of the egg materials is edible raw, then dwarves will eat the eggs raw. Or at least they should, according to disassembly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:36:26 pm »

You can't eat raw eggs.
If you make a creature lay eggs where at least one of the egg materials is edible raw, then dwarves will eat the eggs raw. Or at least they should, according to disassembly.
...Huh.
Well, eggs aren't like that in vanilla.
Sig

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:04:59 am »

You can't eat raw eggs.

I'm pretty sure I've seen dwarves eat raw eggs. There is no reason why they wouldn't: people still do and dwarves aren't exactly fussy in what they stick in their gob.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »

Well, contemporarily speaking only roughly 1 in 500 raw eggs have any kind of salmonella contamination...it'd probably be even lower historically as poultry/egg production was small scale and chances for contamination more limited.

I think dwarves have more to worry about chowing down on raw tripe/intestines...but then again they drink so much alcohol, it probabably keeps them healthy (much like how it can help to prevent food poisoning IRL).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

You can't eat raw eggs.
I'm pretty sure I've seen dwarves eat raw eggs. There is no reason why they wouldn't: people still do and dwarves aren't exactly fussy in what they stick in their gob.
You can't in vanilla.
Sig