Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: i hate clothes  (Read 3167 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i hate clothes
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 12:11:29 pm »

I have copper breastplates that are labeled with worn-signs... but that could be battle damage?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

I put everybody in the fort (except miners, woodcutters and the real soldiers) in inactive squads with leather armor. No more clothing issues,
AND everybody is more protected just in case.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

topper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:55 pm »

I put everybody in the fort (except miners, woodcutters and the real soldiers) in inactive squads with leather armor. No more clothing issues,
AND everybody is more protected just in case.

What is the minimum full leather uniform for x civilians in squads to avoid bad thoughts and to never worry about clothing wear again?
Please fix this if it is wrong:
Required:
x leather armor
x leather leggings
x leather high boots

Optional? (but good for protection):
x leather gloves (should this be 2x?)
x leather helmets
x leather shields

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »

In my last fort, I had many, many dwarves wearing xxIron Mail Shirtsxx and xIron Breastplatesx, so armor most definately does degrade.
Were they in a refuse pile? e.g. did you set up a combination stockpile that included bones and armor?

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »

Highly useful wiki article on clothing: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Clothing

My solution: goblinite and elvenite.  (Although I've yet to piss off the elves enough yet such that they attack me, I'm working on that.)  Goblins and elves wear the same size clothing as dwarfs, even though the materials may be odd (troll fur loincloth).  I just collect it and hold it in my finished goods quantum stockpile, when a dwarf needs a change he dumps his xClothingx and picks up whatever he needs from the stocks.

I've never needed to make extra, although just for a buffer, when I get enough cloth (usually one elven caravan is enough) I sometimes create three jobs: make 30 cloth cloaks, 30 cloth trousers, and 30 cloth shoes.  That's just enough to prevent nakedness pouting.

I haven't tried the military option yet but I'm hearing mixed feedback.  Can anyone clarify?  I have a ton of copper in my brand new fort and I was considering this option.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »

I haven't tried the military option yet but I'm hearing mixed feedback.  Can anyone clarify?  I have a ton of copper in my brand new fort and I was considering this option.

The military option works great for me.  I make a heap of armour (helps if you have magma smelters and forges, use the melt yield exploit if you want), then in the Military screen I set up a uniform to Replace clothing, and put all my dwarves in squads.  Under Schedule I go through each month of each alert and set inactive to be Uniformed.

A bit of work to set up, but once in place you never have to give a thought to clothing again.  Has the added bonus of giving protection to all your dwarves in all situations (ambushes, minecart collisions, falls etc).  Be aware that if lots of heavy armour is equiped and the dwarf doesn't have much skill in armour use, it will slow them down significantly.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »

In my last fort, I had many, many dwarves wearing xxIron Mail Shirtsxx and xIron Breastplatesx, so armor most definately does degrade.
This has been a recognised bug when clothing and armor are in a multi-use stockpile.  I think when also used as a refuse pile to degrade old clothes?  Basically, anything that could be worn would degrade, whereas Armor will not, normally, degrade.

Use some search fu to find that thread and see what you can do to avoid that in the future.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 06:21:12 pm »

My solution: goblinite and elvenite.  (Although I've yet to piss off the elves enough yet such that they attack me, I'm working on that.)  Goblins and elves wear the same size clothing as dwarfs, even though the materials may be odd (troll fur loincloth).

There are few better ways to demonstrate becoming exactly what you are at war with, simply by being at war. Cool.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:54 pm »

One thing:

Military (inactive) dwarves and civil dwarves spend their idle time in different ways. Military dwarves will go to their barracks / archery targets and train (although the barrack training will always be the highly ineffective "individual combat drill" as opposed to sparring or lessons), while civil dwarves will go to a meeting area and spend their time there.

In meeting areas, dwarves socialize - on military training, they don't. (I don't have 100% exact science on this statement, but it is at least very close to the truth based on a few 100 years of fortresses).

Socializing (-> marriage -> dwarf multiplication -> lots of relatives/kids for you military dwarves) can be an important factor for long running forts.

I play without immigrants (well, the first 2 waves) - so "social management" is very important for me, I need my dwarves to multiply a lot. But I guess that most players want to keep their kid count low - and, if possible, have the number of relatives of military personnel low.

TL/DR: Putting dwarves into military squads keeps the friends/relatives number of military personnel low because they don't socialize much/any in meeting zones. This might be great or not according to your playstile / what you want to achieve.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »

I put my dwarves in a tunic, trousers, shoes uniform, all of either rope reed or pig tail fabric. Everything else gets dumped. It's easier to manage the stocks screen that way.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »

This militery managment thing, it dosent work if 90percent of your dwarves all carry axes all the time;does it?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »

Armor only degrades if it was sitting on a refuse stockpile tile.  Such as the dwarves standing in a refuse stockpile, seeing something new, then dropping the old armor where they were standing.  Or if you have a refuse pile at the bottom of a splatter-pit for mass pitting and don't haul the armor quickly, it will experience decay/wear.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 07:46:26 am »

You know what, I did have my armor and bones in the same stockpile.  Although it only accepted some refuse, that's probably what did it.  That probably also explains why I had way less armor than I thought I had made, and probably was a large contributor to why I lost that fort.

Lesson learned: Make a seperate armor/clothes stockpile.
Pages: 1 [2]