Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dam?  (Read 1321 times)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dam?
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:21:06 pm »

Is it possible to dam rivers? If so, how? I can't figure it out, since the dwarves wont built in water, and I cant think of any way of diverting an infinite water source.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dam?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:24:59 pm »

This has been covered time and time again. The wiki covers the topic in detail: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dam, not to mention the many threads already in existence.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »

Pumps.  Or wait till it freezes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »

You can also channel off the top layer or the river and drop magma into the water from a reservoir you built 100 z levels above the ground after constructing a 260ish z level magma pump stack to pump magma from the magma sea with magma safe materials powered by an immense windfarm. This should only take 2000+ stone blocks for the reservoir and walls of the pumpstack, about 300 wood for the windmills and axles (depends on on the wind speed of your embark), 260ish magma safe enormous corkscrews, 260ish magma safe tubes, a handful of magma safe mechanisms for the lever and bridge (or floodgate) activation, a magma safe floodgate and/or magma safe blocks for the bridge.

If you don't have a particularly difficult embark you could get this done in a few years, but that damn river will stay dammed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:37:54 pm by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

SeymourGlass > thanks for the link. I somehow didnt even think of checking the wiki >.> bad yote is bad
Pisskop -> as with the wiki link, it didnt occur to me to try it with a frozen river either. I usually d ont embark in cold areas, so that might be why
varnifane -> Im not sure if I have the energy for that much pumping >.>
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17:13 pm »

varnifane -> Im not sure if I have the energy for that much pumping >.>

I hear that happens in your 40's or so.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:04 pm »

I'm getting there, lol

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »

I hear that happens in your 40's or so.
Nonsense!  (Speaking as someone in their 40s or so.)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:13 pm »

Wait until it freezes the floodgate that bitch Urist!