Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron, the scarcity thereof  (Read 2790 times)

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
  • Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron, the scarcity thereof
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »

It may seem dumb to ask, but are you looking for "iron" or "iron nuggets" or "native iron" or something (like gold, platinum and some others show up as), or for hematite, magnetite, or limonite (the ores of iron in vanilla)? I have rarely not had any iron ores at all, even next to a volcano, as I usually try to embark on a location with 3 or more biomes overlapping.

I know I'm looking for hematite, magnetite, and limonite, thanks. I can't seem to ever find them, it's maddening. This particular fortress I've already made enough gold crafts to trade for anything I could ever want, but the caravans don't ever bring weapons/armor on the scale I desire.
Bergmann storniert Trinken: Unterbrochen durch Carp.
I'm pretty sure the Elves like it deep in the dark passage, if you get what I mean.
In Soviet Russia, microcline strikes you!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

DFHack's pre-embark "prospect all" command looks at a *single* tile out of the entire "biome" that you're looking at in the embark screen.  So hit F1, use the "prospect all" command, then hit F2 and use the "prospect all" command, etc.

However, since tiles within a biome can be different (different vein quantities, but identical layer stones), you might see more/less of the reported minerals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

Import metal bars, anvils, and other cheap stuff for melting,
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]