Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Salt\Fresh water question  (Read 363 times)

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Salt\Fresh water question
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

I don't know if its a bug, exactly, or if I don't understand whats going on.

I've got a river source at a biome edge-- it goes from a neutral arid plain to a little sliver of sinister beach, then off back into the plain.  The sinister has no aquifer, the plain does.  If you look at the brook source, the delta structure goes a few tiles of fresh, then a few of salty, then fresh for the rest of the brook.  I created a cistern and brought the clean water over the sinister biome, and it all went salty.  Fine.  Construct a desalination plant.  I took the water down a long shaft, then went west back towards the neutral biome, and into a long channel through a fortification (to prevent stones from sweeping over the floodgates).  As soon as the water hit the bottom of the column... fresh.   Its still in the evil biome and it freshened itself by falling 50 levels.

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't bitchin-- I have a brand new water source just a few tiles from my dining hall and hospital.  But this is wonky.

I went ahead and manned the desalination pumps because I wanted those dwarves to buff their strength a little bit before I plunk em in steel armor.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:30:04 pm by thiosk »