Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with forum Java  (Read 832 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Problems with forum Java
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

Ive noticed recently that some of the time I go to websites, forums mostly the icon at the bottom left of IE window displays the attention symbol and "errors on page" It seems that some buttons and other functions in webpages just dont do anything when i click on them. Latetly the instant UBB code buttons in the DF forum new post window have been acting sporadically.

So I went to the uninstall programs window and it said i had 4 listings for java:
1. A development kit.
2. An outdated patch update.
3. Another outdated patch update.
4. Java runtime enviroment version 6 revision 4.

When I went to the java directory on the hard drive it had 7 folders in it. Most have 1 or 2 lingering files, but 4 of them contained thousands of what appeared to be the same sets of files. So i uninstalled the two patches and 2 of the folders became like the others, empty but for a handful of files and folders that dont seem to do anything. That leaves 2 more folders, one presumably is the runtime enviroment and the other is the development platform as the version numbers match up.

As far as i can tell, an outdated java is not the problem but it seems the java package is damaged in some way. So what i think i will do is uninstall all java related items, delete the java folder and go download the newest installer from the java website.

Is this the right thing to do, or am i missing something?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with forum Java
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

You're definitly missing something: use firefox.  ;)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

It seems no one ever mentions it, but Opera is another good (and free) open-source full-featured browser. Edit: Oops, it's not open source. Still good though.

[ October 22, 2007: Message edited by: Turgid Bolk ]

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

Try Safari. I tried it but found it difficult to use, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. It's from Apple so it should be good.

No right click

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

Everybody seems to love Firefox, and I get a teensy bit tired of all the propaganda.  Who cares what people use as long as it works?  I know the argument; IE either *doesn't* work or isn't working good enough, but for me and my experience, it's fine, and how many games are best played in Firefox?   :p

[ October 22, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »

quote:
and how many games are best played in Firefox?

Quite a few I reckon. :P

For the record, I should say that I still use Firefox ver 1.5. Why change something when it's not broken?

I'm still using MSN 4.7. :P

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »

Lots.  The best browser game I have ever played, Nexus War is optimized for Firefox as are several others.  One of the reasons is that its easy to create greasemonkeys or extensions to improve the game.

EDIT: This was being written at the same time as Eagle of Fire's post

[ October 22, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>It seems no one ever mentions it, but Opera is another good (and free) open-source full-featured browser.</STRONG>

Free, full-featured, and cross-platform; not open source. Still very nice, and tends to use fewer system resources than Firefox.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

quote:
Opera is another good (and free) open-source full-featured browser.

Opera isn't open source, but there's no doubt that it is probably the best browser upon a fresh install.

And to answer the original topic, it seems to be Javascript that's malfunctioning. It may be useful to know that Java and Javascript are distinct and separate. It may be best to examine your IE security settings to see if any of them affect Javascript. Either that or switch to Firefox/Opera.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Why change something when it's not broken?</STRONG>

To further derail: I live by that philosophy. Unless there's security issues, I stick with what I have (:

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>

To further derail: I live by that philosophy. Unless there's security issues, I stick with what I have (:</STRONG>

No new Dwarf Fortress for you!  :D

Of course I'm teasing.  ;)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>And to answer the original topic, it seems to be Javascript that's malfunctioning. It may be useful to know that Java and Javascript are distinct and separate. It may be best to examine your IE security settings to see if any of them affect Javascript. Either that or switch to Firefox/Opera.</STRONG>

Which of the settings would affect javascript? The only thing i remember changing was upping the security levels for cookies to medium high.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>One of the reasons is that its easy to create greasemonkeys or extensions to improve the game.</STRONG>

There is a slight difference between improvement through extensions causing the game to be best played with Firefox and the "best played in IE" games; "best played in IE" games often take advantage of proprietary improvements/software (ActiveX) that can't be taken advantage of by any other browser, which makes them unplayable in Firefox for one reason or another.  Firefox optimized games, on the other hand, are AFAIK plenty playable in IE (Urban Dead comes to mind here) yet the enhancements make the game more convenient to play.  I guess I should clarify; my real question is, how many games are there that *aren't* playable in anything besides Firefox (compared to the number of games that aren't playable in anything but IE)?  I've so far in my travels only seen one game that could qualify as only playable in Firefox (the game doesn't display right at all in IE), and development seems to have stalled on that one.

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 09:26:00 am »

quote:
Which of the settings would affect javascript? The only thing i remember changing was upping the security levels for cookies to medium high.

Unfortunately, I don't know these details. I run Linux, so I generally don't have access to Internet Explorer. Try setting the security to whatever the default setting is.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend trying Opera or Firefox. They both work with the Javascript used in these forums right out of the box.