Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing/cancelling station orders?  (Read 627 times)

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing/cancelling station orders?
« on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:40 pm »

Is there a way to change or undo a station order once you've issued it? I sometimes find myself in a situation where I've issued a station order to a squad of dwarves, only to realize that a handful of them have decided to end up on the wrong side of a wall, and therefor to wander through half the map and expose themselves to enemy fire. Unfortunately, it seems that cancelling the station order, or issuing a new station order to a different location have no effect. The little fucks are dead set on getting themselves killed.
Does anyone know a way around this? Is there a secret command, or obscure part of the interface that lets you tell them, "No, really, go over here. Now. Stop doing this other stupid crap"?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Changing/cancelling station orders?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »

Set the squad to inactive for a moment. They'll become civilians and stop following orders. This might result in a negative thought, obviously, but a slightly unhappy squad is better than a dead squad.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »

Pressing "o" in the Squad menu cancels the squad's current orders.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

Also, make sure the spot you pick for your station order is at least 4 spaces from the "other side of the wall". "Station" essentially means "go stand somewhere in the 7x7 area centered on this X. Alternatively, leave walls that are at least 3-thick or make your hallways sufficiently wide.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Is there a way to change or undo a station order once you've issued it? I sometimes find myself in a situation where I've issued a station order to a squad of dwarves, only to realize that a handful of them have decided to end up on the wrong side of a wall

Issuing a second station order that's within 3 tiles of where the dwarf is already standing does nothing.  The dwarf realizes he's within 3 tiles of the station point already and decides that he must be in the right spot.  Which is perfectly reasonable if you think about it, right?

Issuing a second station order outside of the 3 tile radius around the dwarf works as you'd expect: the dwarf picks a brand new spot within 3 tiles of the second station point and moves there.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »

Note that station orders are basically "stand within 3 tiles of the magic X, but on the same Z level".

So for marksdwarves, stationing them on a section of wall, 1Z above the surroundings, works fine.

For ground troops, you'll need to keep your "X" on the safe side of the wall, and give a bit of a margin.