Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another example of a mundane object telling a tale of Dwarven badassery  (Read 1945 times)

Lagg

• Bay Watcher
  • Give me a hammer and I'll call it a nail.
    • View Profile
    • OPTF2

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on the forums and thought I'd finally get around to registering. Today I found a particularly interesting migrant, I believe the image speaks for itself:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's right, this migrant who had no notable skills apparently took down a hydra at some point in his life and proceeded to pull its nails out and make a crown out of it. It seems like an interesting thing to look at in legends, which I might do after posting this. Needless to say he's the militia commander.

Then directly after that migrant arrived this guy showed up:

The fire managed to take down a good 20 dwarves and the only thing I could find after it was over was their heads. No arms, lower body, hands. Just their heads. It felt like a pretty damn epic battle at first, but then towards the end I looked at his description.

Yep. Surprisingly this is my most interesting fortress I've ever done so far and I haven't even broke into the caverns yet.

Edit: It seems Catten was just one incredibly lucky Dwarf. "In 57, the Hydra Talin Breachsweat the Right of Raunch's fourth neck was smashed by Catten"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:22:40 am by Lagg »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Another example of a mundane object telling a tale of Dwarven badassery
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:20:15 am »

Hehe. Sounds like a pretty cool dorf - and fight.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »

I think that vampire - dwarves conceal their kills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »

I think that vampire - dwarves conceal their kills.
It'd be lethally evident if said hammerdwarf was a vampire :P

You do not suspect... Muahhaha...

Lagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • OPTF2
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

Yeah that was my initial suspicion too but according to legends she just walked up to a hydra one day and slapped it upside the fourth head and down it went. It's too bad legends doesn't show weapons that were used in major duels of history. But I'm pretty sure she literally slapped it to death. On that note I'm actually wondering if there are any vampires left in this world, this is my first fort that hasn't had one in the 3 years it's been established.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:25 pm »

"Them's some pretty nice nails you got there.  They'd make a nifty crown.  I want 'em."

"RAWWRRRRRRR!"

*The hydra bites at Catten, but the blow is deflected!
*Catten is unimpressed
*Catten bitch-slaps the hydra in the fourth head, crushing the skull and driving it into the brain!
*The hydra has been killed

"Like I said...  Gimme."

*Catten walks away whistling with a pocket full of hydra toenails to make into a crown at the nearest village
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »

Does that imply that someone else had already killed the other heads?  Or does killing any of the heads remove the [CAN_THINK] or [THOUGHT_CENTER] or whatever it is, and kill it?  Haven't had the pleasure of combatting a hydra yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »

Hydras can lose heads and still keep fighting.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »

You think thats badass? I had a dwarf in legends beat up a troll when she was TWO YEARS OLD.
Apparently she threw her pacifier at it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »

You think thats badass? I had a dwarf in legends beat up a troll when she was TWO YEARS OLD.
Apparently she threw her pacifier at it.

In my Kobold Camp I have a 'bold in legends who took down a troll.  I was impressed.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Lagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • OPTF2
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:06 pm »

Does that imply that someone else had already killed the other heads?  Or does killing any of the heads remove the [CAN_THINK] or [THOUGHT_CENTER] or whatever it is, and kill it?  Haven't had the pleasure of combatting a hydra yet.

Hydras will keep on going up until they bleed to death or you take off all the heads. Unfortunately as far as I know they don't entirely fit the myth yet so when the heads come off they stay off and so it can be easy sometimes to bleed them out. However when browsing notable events in history you'll see if one of the duelers was wounded, while the hydra had several kills and devour entries there were none where it was wounded. Which leads me to believe that Catten was really good at dodging and rolled around like Urist McMaxPayne while the hydra bled out.

Lagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • OPTF2
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »

Well this is turning out to be a mighty interesting world. Now it would appear that my civilization has been infiltrated. I need to remember to look these things up in legends later.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30:41 am »

Hydras can lose heads and still keep fighting.
From experience, so will ettins. Even when their upper spine nervous tissue, left head is torn and brain, right head is torn apart. (Wait, what?)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.