Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spontaneous Trader Combustion  (Read 3925 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Spontaneous Trader Combustion
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »

Well I was playing my newest fort, everything was going well save for a slight booze shortage, still nothing too threatening. And just as hope to quench the thirst that was quickly spreading arrived....smoke...lots of smoke....the trade depot was on fire....Apparently merchants spontaneously combust now....

Anyone else have this happen? It resulted in a crazy tantrum spiral where it seems the only dwarves unaffected are the engravers...WHICH IS AWESOME, since now I probably have a nice apocalyptic journal to come back to during reclaim. Still though WTF?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous Trader Combustion
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »

Are you playing with mods? Specifically the masterwork mod, which has a problem that can cause this?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »

I am using mods but not the masterwork, all mine are currently homebrew, just a civ that hadn't even showed yet and a few modded creatures with the same story.

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:31 pm »

In that case you probably have a modded material somewhere that has an IGNITE_POINT:XXX that is lower or equal to room temperature, resulting in the fire.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:49 am »

do you have magma underneath your depot? i had a case of spontaneously combusting traders when they went over a magma pipe which was directly under the surface. It seems transported items get too hot and start to combust. Solution: a silver road over the pipe and blocked access around it

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:31 am »

There's only one thing to ask. Well, two really.

1)Was it an elven caravan?
2)How can you weaponize this?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:23 am »

In that case you probably have a modded material somewhere that has an IGNITE_POINT:XXX that is lower or equal to room temperature, resulting in the fire.

This. Although I thought about it before and the dwarves (the traders that smoked my fort) shouldn't have access to it. It was intended to only be available to the custom civ, because whats better then a giant maul? A FLAMING GIANT MAUL. But yeah, any way to fix this and still gets me some flaming weapons? Or are flaming weapons and not burning my fort down mutually exclusive? :P

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

Flames tend to start fires, so be careful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:13:02 am »

lol guess imma have to take that out then. However this does give me an idea...can you create something that creates smoke but not flames? SMOKE MONSTER! IT WILL MAKE YOU TANTRUM LIKE CRAZY :P

Indeed, I do this.

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:29 am »

Did you mess with leather raws?
If so you most likely have a severe case of boiling leather.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »

lol guess imma have to take that out then. However this does give me an idea...can you create something that creates smoke but not flames? SMOKE MONSTER! IT WILL MAKE YOU TANTRUM LIKE CRAZY :P
Smoke doesn't cause bad thoughts, only miasma does that. :P

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »

Smoke doesn't cause bad thoughts, only miasma does that. :P

Yes it does, according to both the wiki and my personal experience with dwarves getting the thought "Choked on smoke underground lately"
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »

Interesting. I guess I'll rephrase that statement as "smoke doesn't cause bad thoughts for long" (since anybody who gets them dies soon).

As for whether or not you can create something that gives smoke but not fire, it's impossible. DF follows the age-old adage of "where there's smoke, there's fire" or more precisely that the only thing that causes smoke in DF is fire of some kind or other.

Princess Celestia

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ruler of Equestria
    • View Profile
    • Everfree Forest
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

There's only one thing to ask. Well, two really.

1)Was it an elven caravan?
2)How can you weaponize this?

This is why I joined the forums. You guys are awesome.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

Did you mess with leather raws?
If so you most likely have a severe case of boiling leather.
Strictly speaking, that isn't something that happens anymore - it was frequent back in 40d and earlier because faulty modding (such as duplicate creature raws) could lead to the game creating leather items with an invalid matgloss, causing the "get boiling point" code to return 0 and make it instantly boil and chill its surroundings to below absolute zero. With the way the material system works in 0.31 and later, it's a lot harder to get items made of a nonexistent material since there's fallback logic to return special placeholder materials in those cases.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.