Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What have you been playing?  (Read 3350 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been playing?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 05:56:42 am »

Well most recently I have been playing through Final Fantasy 6 for the first time and having a blast. I am also thinking of finally doing one of the two challenge Icewind Dale runs I tried (and failed) doing as a kid. Namely a solo-run (I did it in Baldurs Gate 2 but never managed to do it in Icewind Dale) or a crusader party (6 paladins).

EDIT: For the crusader party I can't quite remember though if there are any mobs in the game that are immune to physical attacks which would quite obviously stop that idea quite early in it's tracks.

EDITEDIT: At least if I encounter them before I can get a weapon dealing bonus non-physical. Ah well, fuck it, let's go for it :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:12:52 am by Aptus »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:57 am »

In my search for something neat and suitably hipster-ish to play, I came across an Infocom text adventure called Leather Goddesses of Phobos. This game has so much personality that I can't help but love it. At least it's not a bloody Sierra adventure, so the puzzles make some kind of sense if you think about it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »

Crusader Kings 2, Old dwarf fort (23a), League of Loogends, modding the fuck out of Skyrim then never actually playing it....
In my search for something neat and suitably hipster-ish to play,
In a Dwarf Fortress forum? Sir, I applaud implore you.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »

I am trying to balance Etrian Odyssey, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic with everything else I do on a daily basis. I find myself playing at least two of these games if not all three for at least an hour a day most days, though the time with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition could double since I've come up with a character concept that would finally let me enjoy the Fighter's Guild and House Redoran while still enjoying a magic user class - a female Dunmer Spellsword.

I'm mostly playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic because of recommendations from another forum member and I'm loving said game because it actually makes Star Wars enjoyable for me. I didn't really like the movies or the rest of the fandom but this game has just got my attention with both the storyline and the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset that has been made to fit into Star Wars as well as the whole bit where my character is nice to look at and made of awesome at the same time.

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey or EO1 if you will because the whole franchise has me sold on the whole cartography bit. I love drawing maps and it has been a hobby of mine since the mid-to-late-nineties, where it was all I did for fun at recess in I think around the third to sixth grade. Etrian Odyssey lets me enjoy two things that were comforts of both my childhood and today with one game - video games and cartography - and that is why I will be playing this franchise for years to come if possible.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »

Lately I've had a hankerin' for a good old turn-based RPG, so I picked up FF9 again. Working on learning every ability I come across; it's doing a good job at occupying the part of my brain that, for some reason, is craving a grind.

I'm also playing... ehhh... Farmerama. There. I said it. Don't judge me, it's a fucking awesome farming game, okay?!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »

Navyfield - A odd game mixing Balistics RPGlike progression and various WW2 ships. Basically World of Tanks with ships (except it's MUCH older and 2D).

Warlords Battlecry 3 - My hero is a Orc warrior obviously leading mobs of orcs.
Orcs here are probably my favourite race with their basic unit having 3 upgrades that cause them to:
- Start at level 3 that normally would require that unit getting 10 kills (and given the troop rotation in the game it never happens)
- Become nerly immune to ranged attacks.
- Deal double damage to shooters.
Oh and a innate resistance again blunt attacks.
Hilariously they have a weakness to piercing attacks BUT piercing attacks are usually dealt by ranged units so orcs can become immune to them.

I played some Starfarer recently but now i'm waiting for the next patch.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »

Acsii Sector, otherwise known as # in space.
Also playing Gang Garrison, Sumotori Dreams, Cogmind, Rouge's Souls, 3059, and Stalker: Call of Prypat.
Pretty much I'm playing a handful of rougelikes, a few other things, and Stalker.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

I am trying to balance Etrian Odyssey, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic with everything else I do on a daily basis. I find myself playing at least two of these games if not all three for at least an hour a day most days, though the time with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition could double since I've come up with a character concept that would finally let me enjoy the Fighter's Guild and House Redoran while still enjoying a magic user class - a female Dunmer Spellsword.

I'm mostly playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic because of recommendations from another forum member and I'm loving said game because it actually makes Star Wars enjoyable for me. I didn't really like the movies or the rest of the fandom but this game has just got my attention with both the storyline and the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset that has been made to fit into Star Wars as well as the whole bit where my character is nice to look at and made of awesome at the same time.

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey or EO1 if you will because the whole franchise has me sold on the whole cartography bit. I love drawing maps and it has been a hobby of mine since the mid-to-late-nineties, where it was all I did for fun at recess in I think around the third to sixth grade. Etrian Odyssey lets me enjoy two things that were comforts of both my childhood and today with one game - video games and cartography - and that is why I will be playing this franchise for years to come if possible.

Oh, KOTOR is the best. I used to play that thing all the time on my old Xbox.

I need to put something interesting here.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 05:44:34 pm »

The Dark Spire, on DS

Dungeon crawler reminiscent of Wizardry. Stuck on floor 2, can't find any more stairs. The amount of mystery in this game is staggering.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »

Just beat Of Orcs and Men and Assassin's Creed 3 today, both quite good, Of Orcs and Men was definitely better though, if 1/3 of the gameplay hours. Before that CK2.
I don't know what to do now..

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:10 am »

Ha, I have a big backlog of new games including XCom, Jagged Alliance, SPAZ, Sword of the Stars, Sims 3, the new Finest Hour expansion for HOI3, Victoria 2, all the expansions from EU3 I haven't gotten too yet, plus all the stuff from various bundles like Indiefort and THQ and groupee and oh geez I don't even remember em all...

And instead I have been playing good old Space Empires IV the last couple of weeks - I did a game with Invasions Mod that was kind of interesting and now a new version of one of my favorites - Carrier Battles 1.7  in which the AI is actually giving me a pretty good fight.  I got really lucky with the opening and was able to grab over 1/4 of the galaxy with only 3 warp points to the outside.  So I start building up fleets on them to seal off my section so I can develop the ton of planets I have - I started out with at least 12 carriers and a few smaller ships on each one and was feeling smug (that's a HUGE force at that stage of the game in most SEIV games) but the damn AIs, *even though they are fighting each other too* kept slamming bigger and bigger fleets at them 20, 25, 30 ships including about 40% carriers, owwww.   I have been winning because warp point defense and more carriers, but taking more and more damage. 

After 120 turns I finally built up enough to get some offense going and took 3 neighbor systems, but now the counterattacks are brutal - against my 25 ships I see fleets of 27 and 53 in one system, and against the battered northern warp point where I have 20 warships I see fleets of 34 and 48 on the way.  I thought my main effort was going pretty well - I blockaded and have ground combat in progress on the Phong home world with about 30 ships left in the warfleets but my scouts see a Phong fleet of 96!!! ships coming through the adjoining system, fortunately "only" 20 carriers (the main power in this mod).

It's a blast, not bad for a 12 year old game...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:20 am »

Been playing some Killing Floor, and some TF2.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 11:17:52 am »

Lot of Civ 5, Saints Row 3, Aurora and a little DF. Oh, and the newest version of TOME.

My roommate just finished a playthrough of Dead Space 2. Dunno why, but I don't really have any interest in it myself. Neat to watch though. Think he's gonna start in on Dishonored next.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]