Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Mega-Constructs  (Read 3424 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mega-Constructs
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »

Wall off an isthumus. With a capital W. As in, A song of Ice and Fire.

Evil and cold biome on the northern side, gooder and warmer on the south. Migrants unfortunate enough to arrive from the north Wildlings aren't allowed through, and live their short, violent lives above ground, in wooden hovels. The wall should be huge and mostly made of ice.

This.

If you're interested in building a bridge, a while back I spawned a map with two huge continents and a narrow ocean passage separating them. It was easily encompassed in a 4x2 map.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »

Sounds like an extreme railroad.

Power it and ride from one end of the world to the other as an adventurer! Test the effects of sleeping on minecarts!
Mr. Urist's Wild Ride?
Yes, of course! Or, just a normal railroad.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Furohman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »

The Dam idea is one I've been attempting for a long time, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to even get a world with a suitable large river.
I once had a perfect one where two huge rivers joined into one titanic megariver and embarked there. It would be named Watercathedral and be the awe of all the world.
I arrived to a snow-covered wonderland. It would certainly make it easier to lay foundations if I could carve out ice to get to the bed. I scanned the map for a spot to lay down workers quarters and found to my alarm, no river in sight. Not so much as a stream. Had I embarked in the wrong spot somehow?
Of course, spring had arrived days prior. The dwarves hadn't heard thought twice about the valley they'd stopped in. They had, however, noticed the sound of the ground beneath their wagon suddenly cracking in two... For a few moments, before the icy water filled their lungs.

But if anybody has a world with some lovely rivers, I'd really appreciate it  ::)

(GreatWyrmGold, I'm afraid it was on... I'm not even sure what version. A DF2010 I think? I never got the dam built in the end, really should have planned it out beforehand a bit more)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:23:20 am by Furohman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »

Try getting your dwarves to run off the river, and a save would be nice,
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]