Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: underground irrigation  (Read 1645 times)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
underground irrigation
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:33 am »

as the title says how would a underground farmland look irrigation wise? main problem i been having . thanks!! :o

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: underground irrigation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:40 am »

depends on how you want to farm, for underground crops on dirt or clay or sand u just build a farm plot. if you are on rock or any other type of material you need to have water muddy the floor first, easiest way i have found is to have a pit 1 z level above where you want to farm then have it set as a pond and have dwarves dump water into the pit, it will slowly expand until the floor is muddied and you can use that for farmland

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:04 am »

The easiest way is to dig into a muddy pool. A bit harder is to dig a channel from a river or brook, coupled with a water lock - two floodgates or hatches controlled by levers so that you can dose the water.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:54:45 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67744.0

Top topic in this category.

You'd really have your answers quicker if you would look just a little for them instead of asking.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:17 am »

My sorrow talking about channeling to irrigate rock but just ends up in FUN as in carp city

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:05:26 pm »

It's easy to create Fun when you're first learning how to play with water.  Congratulations!

However, if you want to do things a bit more safely, try designating a pond zone on a hole one Z-level above the farms and letting the dwarves dump water into it with buckets.  It's a lot less Fun, but also a lot less likely to leave your fortress submerged.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »

It's easy to create Fun when you're first learning how to play with water.  Congratulations!

However, if you want to do things a bit more safely, try designating a pond zone on a hole one Z-level above the farms and letting the dwarves dump water into it with buckets.  It's a lot less Fun, but also a lot less likely to leave your fortress submerged.
Its also over a ghundred times LONGER to get done, I tried doing it through ponding it and it took 20 dwarves over 3 months to get to 3 spots :-\
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:17:12 pm »

Designate a separate pond zone over each tile of farm that you want to irrigate.  Ideally, have one bucket per active pond zone (or you'll get a bunch of job cancellation spam).  Make sure you have a well, or other water source, relatively close to the pond zones.  When each pond zone has received a single bucket of water, you can remove the zone -- you don't need any more.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:46 am »

Ah thank you just tried it now took a few months but no carps ripping appart my 50 cats :o

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 02:45:27 pm »

When I do ponding, I have holes every 2-3 tiles up above. Once the 9 tiles below that hole get covered, I remove the pond zone from that hole.  If it's a very long way to the water source (40+ steps), then I work my way across the room with only a few holes active at a time.

Hotter/drier climates are harder to get done with ponding.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 03:04:15 pm »

I put a high priority on making a well, located somewhere inside my fortress, preferably passively fed by an infinite water supply.  Once that's in place, bucket-irrigating a farm from it goes a lot faster.

If you're dragging water in from an outdoor surface pond, or a cavern lake, then yeah... I could see it taking months.