Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other jobs than adventurer, trader, thief etc. in Adventure Mode  (Read 1652 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps I'm boring but in the future I would like Toady to allow us to have lameass jobs like cheesemaker, surgeon, etc. in Adventure Mode. I wouldn't like it now because Dwarf Fortress is still in its childhood and things like talking isn't well developed and trading is coming up in the next update. But if you think about it, these profession would be fun. You would get to enjoy all the little things in life. For example: imagine if in the adventure mode you are playing Urist McCheesmaker. You start off, borrow some cash, buy some equipment and start producing. At first you cannot make enough, so you break into a house and steal some gold to pay him off. You start producing cheese, you get a wife and build a nice little home. Soon you make some profit selling cheese, and you buy more equipment and hire people to make cheese for you. You then secretly murder all other cheesemakers in the village at night and dump their bodies in the river. You then start an entire cheese monopoly  :D and you hire traders to sell it all. You start training as a fighter, sneak into a necromancer tower and become a necromancer. You get involved in politics and become the mayor. You control your entire village, surrounded by gold, disposing of anyone who gets in your way.
See, that was fun. But what was even cooler was that in a game like DF, this might actually be possible in the future.
But please don't keep on pointing out the same thing over and over again, we all know that even if Toady does incorporate these, it'll be after a long time.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Other jobs than adventurer, trader, thief etc. in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:32 am »

Toady does intend to let any job that can be done in Fortress Mode be done in Adventurer Mode, eventually, as far as I know.  I'm pretty sure general "crafting" jobs (including cheesemaker) are all rolled up into the concept of "trader", as well.

The only thing I hope for is that Toady does something to actually make such jobs the slightest bit interesting, instead of just being a job of going to the market to buy milk, transform into cheese with cheesemaker kit, sell cheese loop. 

By that, I mean having some sort of interface (*GASP!*) to make players have to actually do something while manufacturing items, rather than just setting "pick up rock, knap rock, throw knapped rock" macros to repeat several thousand times in a row. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:36 am »

-snip-

This. A thousand times this, hell I'd even be happy if You didn't include becoming a Fighter/Necro, and just became a Cheeselord.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:39:23 am »

It would be epic if you could become a cheeselord wouldn't it? :D. Let's beg Toady so that he incorporates this features after 10 years or something.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:30:30 am »

Begin producing cheese and selling it at market. Negotiate with dairy farmers for preferential treatment in milk purchases; negotiate with butcher for cheap rennet. Use increased funds to hire additional cheesemakers and rent a better workshop. When thieves break in hire adventurers to kill thieves. Use your share of thieves' plunder to purchase farms and invest in merchants' wagons. Send a gift of your finest masterwork Camel Cheese to the king. Gain a barony. Pick out a coat of arms featuring three camels, a wheel of cheese and a prickle berry. The camels are admiring the cheese.

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:15:36 am »

It would be awesome to be a surgeon as well.
Sew 'Pancreas' with 'spider silk thread'. "Chance of failing: 63 Percent"
"You attempt to sew Urist McPatient. It fails. Blood is oozing out of his body."
"Options: 1) Clean up blood
             2) Attempt sewing again.
             3) Close up the body.
             4) Do something else "

It would be cool if you were a surgeon and found out other sneaky ways to kill your enemies. Push them into ditch, they fracture their leg, you attempt operation, 'accidentally' cut through their leg and so on...
Man, I can't wait for adventure mode in the future. The next update has free running. Woot!

zkenyon

• Bay Watcher
  • <SQL injection removed>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:23 am »

My hope regarding this, is that workshops become unnecessary. Once cheesemaking is incorporated into the physical model of the game, adventurers should be able to make cheese just by adding acid to milk and putting the result in a cave and waiting.

professions are an abstraction necessary to running a fortress, but not necessary to adventure mode.

so I think the change you are advocating for is more dynamic professions?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:20 am »

It's been discussed in DF Talk #11.

Toady:   Part of the caravan arc is the adventurer being able to partake in these things, like being able to move from town to town buying things and selling them and that necessitated the pack mule, of course, so that you can lead mules around with your crap on them to sell in other places, and that implies having animals, having adventure mode animals, so that would go in first, and that's why we're just throwing mounts into this series of releases. And that's going to be intriguing and fun, riding around on your horsie and having your pack mule and having your trusty dog companion ... I suppose you just buy those in a village or town ... anyone who's willing to part with an animal, you'll be able to secure your animal from these people, whatever animal you should choose to secure, and they would be your little buddy, and you know, they'd have to eat now ... riding a horse I guess you'd have to stop every once in a while and let it nibble on things or feed it hay and apples and things; whatever horses are happy eating these days ... or those days, whenever it was. So that's another intriguing engagement, leading to Capntastic's great dream of having a sheep farm.
Capntastic:   Yeah, a sheep farm.
Toady:   Slowly getting there, slowly getting there. You'd be able to have sheep but they'd follow you around and probably kill people for you or something, and then it's a matter of when we're going to allow you to actually farm your sheep and shear your sheep. Of course the nice thing is that once we allow shearing of sheep we're almost already there because you'd be able to buy and sell at that point commodities like that, and you'd have your animals wandering around with you and you'd just need to be able to keep them in a place, and you'd need to be able to pass time faster; those are kind of the things we're missing for your dream to come to fruition. The passage of time is the big question mark, when are we going to be like 'I want to pass a season just hanging out in my rented cottage', like you press the button and then it's like 'You owe three months rent'.
Capntastic:   Also being able to set up tasks like 'I want to build this fence in this area' and you designate it then hit a button and then it'd be like 'It took you three weeks to make the fence', kind of an autopilot thing.
Toady:   That's right, then you'd have your own little environment, and you might have to deal with the occasional night creature that comes and steals your sheep, just wanders off with your sheep. You'd have to go rescue your sheep, I guess the rescue is something we haven't done, we tried to squeeze that in with night creatures but couldn't do it because there are some times in world generation where ... So they capture a person and then they convert them into a spouse and then they make night creature children - these twisted twisted bad peoples - and sometimes during world generation it stops at a point where a person has been captured but they haven't been converted. So those people are in a limbo that we didn't really define well: there are no rescue missions and if you visit that cave ... I'm not sure, but they probably just appear in the cave and then get killed by the monster, because the monster doesn't remember what they're there for. So it'll be like that for your sheep, I guess, you'll rescue your sheep. It's good to rescue your sheep. So yeah, you'll have a victorious time trading your sheep and you'll just breed sheep and sell them to people and stuff, and you'll know where your sheep here, like 'These are my sheep, I sold them to three different communities' and so on, 'and people all over the world are wearing my clothes'. You'll have to brand your clothes, call them something ...

And some more in #13.

Rainseeker:   I want to get a job as a hat merchant. Make hats, and sell them.
Toady:   This will happen. Your dreams are going to come true, isn't it great?
Rainseeker:   I can't wait. I want to put flowers on them ... and also feathers ... I want fancy hats.
Toady:   Let's see, when is that ... release, release, release ... Release 9 is when you're going to be guaranteed to be able to trade and sell things and so on. However release 8 lets you buy cottages and other properties, so we're getting into that whole ... you know, is the game going to be like one of those things more like Patrician, where you can be in multiple towns and have properties and move your caravans around, that sort of thinking ... we're been reading a lot about how those things are structured. The things that might be difficult for you to get into as an adventurer is that kind of production and retail thing where if there's a guild structure that gets put on top of this, which is very likely, then you might have a lot of trouble breaking in if you don't choose that as a character generation option because you weren't apprenticed early on ...
Rainseeker:   Yes, I was in the hat guild early on in my characters development.
Toady:   Yeah, so then you might have a chance at that kind of thing. But guilds aren't a foregone conclusion for every city either, and then you can just be the guy who makes necklaces and sits out on the street and sells them to people that walk buy on a little mat until you get chased off by the guards ...
Rainseeker:   'Do you have a permit for those necklaces?'
Toady:   So we're hoping to give you some opportunities there. The big thing is going to be the trade orientated thing, like you'd be able to buy up certain goods from one town and then set up a warehouse in another town perhaps and sell to local vendors, for them to sell further if you don't want to set up a store yourself or are not able to. We'll be exploring that stuff in releases 8 and 9 and hopefully ... We haven't thought quite as much about how the economies would go in a village, because there were peddlers that kind of move from village to village, like 'I'll sell you a hammer and I'll buy your ... whatever, buy some vegetables or buy a cow you don't need and move it to the next town and sell it there' - I'm not sure they took livestock per se, but you know what I mean - and just being one of the local peddlers would be a lower status version of the larger caravan operations that you could engage in. But when it comes to actually making stuff and then selling it you'll just need to find an avenue for doing that, but hopefully we'll be getting into stuff beyond the trade, but the trade is going to be the main focus in those late releases.

The whole "release 8, release 9" development plan has been scrapped, but we'll see this suggestion when the trader role comes into play.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:24 am »

This is why I can't wait to play DF in the near future. Toady is undeniably the best game creator on the planet. If it was anyone else, all that info in the quotes would just seem like pipe dreams, but with Him, You actually know it's going to happen.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.