Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to...?  (Read 1335 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Is it possible to...?
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »

Basically, I want to gather a giant stash of weapons and dump them in one big pile deep in the wilderness. Armor, weapons, I'll get all of it. Same with trade goods and gems and barrels and clothes and whathaveyou. Once the hoard is massive enough, my adventurer will retire, go whisper something secret to the dwarven king and the dwarves will then go to start a fortress on that very spot, with tons of equipment and stuff waiting for them. Will the items stay, or will it be an empty plain by the time I embark?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to...?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »

As far as I know, stuff tends to scatter in the open wilderness. That's why Night Troll's lairs are so popular and demanded, because they somehow keep themselves tidied up, for your embark to come and claim.

But, as the song says, I might be wrong.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »

That's why Night Troll's lairs are so popular and demanded, because they somehow keep themselves tidied up

I believe that's because they're coded to have a little bit of structure as far as placement of items goes, so you have say, a ladle next to a pot in there. Of course, I guess this means that this is all totally possible, so long as you use a Night Troll's lair.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

I think the scatter will stick to the embark tile, so...give it a shot, report results.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »

I did this several times in 34.07 and there was no scatter at all. Not even with very light objects like socks.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »

AFAIK, stuff you leave lying around in Adventure Mode stays exactly where you put it. I've never checked this across a Retire, though. However, a Lair is specifically coded not to scatter things, so if you take all your stuff to a lair, retire and embark, all the stuff will be inside the lair... as will your adventurer if you left him/her there when retiring.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:56:49 pm »

If you make multiple trips to drop stuff, then yes,it will scatter a small amount, as the region squarereloads and scatters when you leave and re-enter, if you drop items off, and then give in to starvation, then your items will be in a neat stack on your body, that's what I do, at least.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:08:02 am »

If you make multiple trips to drop stuff, then yes,it will scatter a small amount, as the region squarereloads and scatters when you leave and re-enter, if you drop items off, and then give in to starvation, then your items will be in a neat stack on your body, that's what I do, at least.

I drop everything in one trip, then go to the mountainhome and retire (to get the adventurer as a migrant later on) and start a fort. Perhaps the one trip thing explains why there is no scatter, I leave the region and the next time I revisit it is in fort mode.

Even things like meat and skin remain usable if dropped. If the adventurer starves, he will show up as deceased in the unit list. Corpses and bodyparts recovered from lairs however were completely ignored. I found that out when I wanted to bury the former royal family that was killed in world gen at my embark site.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:34 am »

Perfectly doable. I started a fort some time ago with a dozen masterwork adamantine weapons stolen from the underworld (and some other
goodies)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability