Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: different coloured invaders in the unit list  (Read 529 times)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
different coloured invaders in the unit list
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »

As the title says, I have a lot of ambushing goblins around the map (i'm just that bad at defense-making and military), and was wondering if there's any difference. In the unit list submenu I have 3 distinct groups: goblin swordmen in blue, pikemen and spearmen in ochre, and a single bowman ins green. Oh, and a caged maceman in red.

Is the difference purely in term of what they do, or is there something i'm missing?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: different coloured invaders in the unit list
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:09:48 pm »

The colors are based on their profession, just like with your dwarves.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: different coloured invaders in the unit list
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

As the title says, I have a lot of ambushing goblins around the map (i'm just that bad at defense-making and military), and was wondering if there's any difference. In the unit list submenu I have 3 distinct groups: goblin swordmen in blue, pikemen and spearmen in ochre, and a single bowman ins green. Oh, and a caged maceman in red.
As greycat stated, the color is a rough indicator of profession. If you look at your Z-Status screen, you can see the colors used by all of the various professions your dwarves can have, and the military ones are consistent with what you observed - axe is dark blue, sword is teal, mace is red, hammer is purple, spear/pike is brown, bow/crossbow is green, whip/blowgun is dark gray, and wrestler (which was only common back in 40d) is light gray.

For people who don't use tilesets, these colors are very useful for identifying hostiles approaching the fortress, and experienced players rely on them almost entirely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.