Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Peace?  (Read 1470 times)

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Peace?
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

Wut. Those strange green fellows are goblins. This is vanilla DF with Ironhand. Ironhand apparently had textures for goblin planters and goblin merchants.

In adventure mode, my human civilization was in a natural war with the goblins. I fought a few, and then did something game-breaking. I chopped off the feet of a catacomb-roaming goblin, and had him crawl after me into the market district. The elf, dwarf, and human merchants swarmed him along with some stray cats. It was hilarious. I left the area, and I come back to this. I bring another goblin up, and everyone is peaceful to him. Through a small prank, I have brought absolute peace to this world. I haven't played DF long, but I have always found threads about peace with the goblins to be display glitches in fortress mode. Seriously, is this normal?

Also: I was able to recruit a few goblin troops hanging out peacefully in the castle after I performed my prank.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:51:15 pm by Slothman400 »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Goblin Peace?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »

A lot of my worlds have goblins living with the other civs.

Some cities are really diverse. Might have a human Lady, goblin and dwarf soldiers on the walls.
Human and goblin merchants down in the market...

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's a culteral assimilation mechanic in worldgen. If goblins kidnap too many people it backfires, instead of indoctirinating the kids, the goblins start getting pulled toward a human/dwarf/elf way of life.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:16:03 am »

Wars can culturally assimilate other creatures as well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:04 am »

While unrelated to the market thing, if sufficently famous or you've been doing thier civ a favor (killing titans/other things that were causing a goblin civ trouble along with the civ that gave the quest for example) when they jump you they wont attack and you can also recruit them. it seems more like

HALT IN THE- Wait, are you [Insert name here]? Oh crap! Sorry about that, we didn't know it was you!

Although I'm sure that's already common knowledge. My guess on the merchants and such is sombody got thier ass kicked in a war that had just ended, unless the humans and whatnot have goblin names then it's probably the kidnapping thing.