Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get above ground farming to work  (Read 637 times)

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get above ground farming to work
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:00 am »

Hey everyone.

After a few years I decided to try to get into DF again.
I have a favorite playstyle where I embark without spending any points and just try to survive as best I can until the first caravan brings me (hopefully) a pick or two.

This was fun in previous versions of the game but with this version I seem to be having a problem when trying to farm upside. I can't find a suitable spot for a farm, when I try to lay down a farm plot it tells me I need muddied ground.

Now is this something that has been changed in the latest versions? Or do I need a special type of soil to try above ground farming.
I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work but it just seems impossible.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get above ground farming to work
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:13:57 am »

If a shrub can grow there, then you can farm there. Even if it gives you that red error, try anyways. Obviously, if a shrub can't grow there (like in mountain area) then your farm will not either.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:06 am »

I tried it but my farmers aren't doing anything with those farms... (and yes I have Farming (fields) enabled)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:39:53 am »

Did you set certain crops to be grown there?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:57 am »

There seems to be a strange bug that one sometimes can't plant above ground crops unless a product of them was bought from the caravan. Like, you can't plant strawberries before you bought strawberry wine.

It doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:12:50 am by Laurin »

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:45:59 am »

I had Wild Strawberries on one of them and Longland Grass on another. Had the seeds for both.

Laurin: If the bug only occurs sometimes I'm probably just gonna have to keep trying until it works.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:53:13 am »

If you have the plants in your local biome, try to brew them in to alcohol or mill them ...

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:16:50 am »

Turns out it was the bug. On my new save everything is working out alright.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »

There seems to be a strange bug that one sometimes can't plant above ground crops unless a product of them was bought from the caravan. Like, you can't plant strawberries before you bought strawberry wine.

It doesn't happen all the time, only soemtimes.
You can fix the problem by processing one of the plants yourself. So if you have some strawberries brew one of them into wine and then it will enable planting of all strawberry seeds.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.