Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apparently, I suck at aquifers...  (Read 787 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apparently, I suck at aquifers...
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »

So, I've been trying to dig down through multiple aquifer layers to get to stone.  I'd really like to be able to get this accomplished.  I've been doing QuantumMenace's double-split method, as per the instructions on the wiki.  I seem to be doing it right, because I can stop water from flowing into the first aquifer layer.

Here are some screenshots (the one farthest to the left is the most recent attempt, the other two are just pictured so you can laugh at me):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, I'll do the same thing with the next level down.  Pump then dig.  But, when I destroy the pump, the level underneath just fills up again.  It doesn't keep draining down the stairs like it should (and did in the layer above).

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  On the wiki, it said to just repeat the steps with each level until I reach the bottom layer.  But, the method only seems to be working for the very top layer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently, I suck at aquifers...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »

The problems start once you remove the top pump. Why not keep it going?

That said, I don't typically use this method for aquifers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »

If your aquifer is only 1 level thick then the double slit method requires a slightly different way of going about it then with multi-level ones. Try using the Lowest Level Method on the double-slit wiki page.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

It doesn't start once I remove the pump, because I remove the pump before walling the top layer.  And I've tried walling the next layer with the pump still going and it just causes problems.  The water has to be flowing down for this to work, not up.

What do you do to get through multiple layers?  I'm completely new to this.

Edit: It isn't only 1 level thick.  See my original post.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »

Erm...most of the time, freeze or cave-ins, actually. The few times I've used pumps my aquifers have been single-layer or my fortresses have been killed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

Maybe I'll go back to trying cave-ins then.  My fortress is dotted with mud pits due to failed cave-in attempts.  I'm producing a lot of food and I'm on an isolated island, so I've got time.

I get how to cave in the top layer, it's just a matter of getting it right.  But how would I cave in the ones underneath?

edit: nevermind, I see it on the wiki.  errrrrgh, someone's gonna die before i get this right
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:01:14 pm by Hamsmagoo »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »

Cave in a big plug, or locate a guide on how to cave in a bunch.
Sig

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

Found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQH9dliFZE

Gonna try that also.  This guy didn't have near as many aquifer layers as I do though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »

Run it triple slit. Dig down, to just above, punch four holes in the aquifer, and set up three pumps drawing water out of the hole. The extra pumps make a difference when it comes to drawing the water out.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »

I'll try it next time.  I kind of gave up and started an adventurer after someone drowned.