Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This might be the most compact mist generator design.  (Read 2745 times)

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This might be the most compact mist generator design.
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:40:02 pm »

I was playing around with he mist generator idea and because it bothers me that it takes SO much space I was looking for a solution. I found my solution and it it elegant. You can literately place these where ever you want and the total water used is 7.

I use a windmill w/ one pump and a single channel 1x4. Also contained in this is a floor hatch and a pressure plate set to trigger at 5-7 water level.

So the materials at bare min if you but this on the top layer is.

x3 Mechanisms for pressure plate and link
x4 Logs for windmill
x1 log for floor hatch
and what ever eles you need for your specific layout

I have it set up as a tower so alot of this design can be cut you just need the two top layers.

EDIT:Another thing I forgot to mention is the fact that the screw pump must pump from the floor hatch tile. You also have to have an area for the screw pump to pump the water to or it does not work, I.E the Buffer at the end.

z-0
Just ground level of the tower walls and a ramp.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

z-1
Same thing as level 0

z-3
This is the functional area of the mist generator, With the screw pump and floor hatch.

z-4
This is the power source.

The water flows to fast when your doing the initial setup so I used dfhack//liquids command to set the liquid in the channel in this example. I can envision how you could use this from a source with unlimited water or a river or such. It is alot more compact than the mist generator with 4 pumps and the amount of water dropped is 0 once the system is running. The trap flips over about every 100 ticks of the game which generates a fair amount of mist.

I tried to see if using the trap door would work by it's self and I can conclude that is is impossible for it to work as such. When the screw pump is introduced into the equitation it works as intended and no water is dropped from the system ever.

You can make this design as wide as you want as long as the input tile to the floor hatch is only coming from one direction. If there is more than one possible way from the water to exit it will leave to rapidly for the screw pump to pull it back. That is why the system uses a 1x4 area to operate.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that is requires 7 total water for the 1x4 system.

EDIT:Changed the photos 3-4 to have text descriptions because of ma graphics pack.

Also it is vitally important that you have the two buffer zones one in front of the screw pump and another behind where the floor hatch is.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:02:58 pm by zeziba »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: This might be the most compact mist generator design.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »

What does this look like without a graphics pack? I have no idea what I'm looking at.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:50 pm »

Added some descriptions to the photos for easier viewing, I'm used to it so I know when I'm seeing.

Overall this work very well for above ground forts because you can literately set it up with in the first season and avoid tantrum spirals from low amounts of food and one type of alcohol. I set the one pictured up in 37 dwarf days and still set up my farm and butchery.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »

What does this look like without a graphics pack? I have no idea what I'm looking at.

This.

I cannot decode your fancy shmancy wizard world's landscape.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:09 pm »

Isn't the simplest generator just a pair of pumps stacked on top of each other in the sky with power?
Code: [Select]
       \/ dump buckets of water here to start
+3) .%<%.
+2) .%>%_
+1) # <-- mist exits here as water falls
+0) (Dorfs walk here, staying dry and happy)
No need for retaining walls, mechanisms or a direct-feed water source, since the pump pair will keep up to 7/7 water levitated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:00:33 pm by SuicideJunkie »

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »

Hmm... That works? I thought water flowed in all directions even when falling. A quick test will tell me if it is so.

EDIT: Tested your thought and no it completely fails to do what is necessary. The reason is because the flow rate is uncontrolled while it did work for about 350 ticks after that the water was able to escape the system with relative ease.

The reason why the four screw pump mist generator works is because they take DIRECTLY from the out put of the other pump. the two stack does not on the other hand. I do believe that my method is good for right now and could use some refining. It works with out fail and will never flood your fort because of only having 7 total water in the system at one time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:28:31 pm by zeziba »

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:32:15 am »

Two pumpstack design works. I have used it. But I can't see how your design recycles water. Can you provide pictures of it working. Do you flood z3-4?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:47 am »

Um, so where does the water flow to and how does it return to the floor hatch?
You call it a 1x4 design but did you take into account all the tiles that is needed for moving the water back to the pump?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 03:13:38 am »

So let me see if I get this right.

1)Water from infinite source is placed on floor hatch.
2)Water is dropped by opening floor hatch, at which point the pump picks it up.
3)Water is moved to buffer zone.
4)Repeat steps 1 & 2
5)Step 3 fails the second time because your buffer zone is still full.

Right now your system will work exactly once without some method to dispose of the water in the buffer zone, at which point you might as well just run a real waterfall straight from the infinite source to the disposal area. I could see this method working with a second pump on top of the first one, similar to the method outlined by SuicideJunkie, with the hatch stopping the pump from ever missing the water drop, but other then that it won't work right now.

After all the entire point of the 4-pump ring method is that you don't need to tap into an infinite source.

Also note that the method as currently outlined will generate much less mist then a 4-ring generator, as it is only dropping water in 1 spot (25% mist) and it is on a hatch timer (which slows it down even more).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.