Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this a real security risk?  (Read 2082 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a real security risk?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:13 pm »

Important piece of information: Objects do not fall down through stairs.
Objects do not fall down stairs if they started on the stair tile. If they were already falling when they entered the stair tile, then they will fall down.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:18 am »

I think nobody's giving this a double-lecture:

Bins. Of socks. Put into wagons. Going off-rails. Realeasing hell in the form of pig tail and silk over astonished trespassers.

Thank me later, bay12.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:35 pm »

Minecarts, Trickman
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »

Wheelbarrows in mincarts.  containing barrels with socks in them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 06:04:29 pm »

Wheelbarrows in mincarts.  containing barrels with socks in them.

No.

Mine carts full of mine carts. Use a mine cart to dump a cart load of mine carts onto a railgun as part of an auto-loader.

Its minecartception.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »

Important piece of information: Objects do not fall down through stairs.
Objects do not fall down stairs if they started on the stair tile. If they were already falling when they entered the stair tile, then they will fall down.
I'm seconding this, when building my drop chute I had to redo the design because of this.

I tried opening a hatch covering a down stair, on the hatch there were lots of items quantum stockpiled, they simply stayed put. If you open a hatch covering open space the items do fall and if in the z-level bellow there's a down stair they keep falling all the way down the stairs... but only if they were already falling before hitting the down stair.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:55 am »

It bears repeating that you're going to want only one way in or out of your fortress and that any exploratory mining should be done in a separate mineshaft. In fact one thing I like to do before getting serious with certain fortresses is send an expedition team that has nothing more than a proficient miner, a stone block and a copper pick and have them dig said shaft until they reach the caverns or find a source of iron.

This means I usually have them dig maybe ten z-levels down or so with a down stairs and some up/down stairs until they find something of interest. I then have the miner come back up and seal up that mineshaft in case I found anything dangerous and afterwards proceed to abandon the fortress then reclaim the settlement with the actual team that is to build the fortress from the ground up.

...I just thought it would be something useful to share. By taking a little bit of extra time you can search through a number of sites and mark the ones that you would want to play, whether it's because they have the makings for steel or they have an underground lake or anything really. If you're feeling really sadistic you can have the little drunk midget dig all the way down to the candy, preferably without disturbing the circus. That way you can have a source of candy for your more serious settlers to work with as well as perhaps a source of magma.

Then again I've never done anything with magma except drop a cavy on it from over 120 z-layers above. It bled to death on impact and exploded in a fountain of gore, so I'm probably wrong about something here.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 04:32:45 am »

This just gave me an idea for a trap. First build a long tower with a up/down stair going through it. Then builing a room on top of it with a bait animal. Then just build a platform above the upmost stair, one or two z:s up. Construct a floor hatch, link it to a lever, and designate a dump zone on it.Anything dumped on it can then be dropped through the staircase, maiming invaders etc. who are lured to climb up.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:47 pm »

Stairs and minecarts go well together. Instead of having items fall down stairs and bowling over invaders, you drop a vehicle down the stairs and onto a roller, where it's pushed up automatically to the top of the stairs to be dropped again.

So far the fastest trip up is 9 ticks per 7 levels on the main spiral, which I believe is faster than anything in the game.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]