Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rate the fortress above you!!  (Read 3899 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Rate the fortress above you!!
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

In forum game and rollplaying
I saw a few rate the avy, sig, ect above you.
So I thought "what if people post pictures of there fortress and rate it?"
So let see how it goes!
(couldnt post my fort sory)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Rate the fortress above you!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »

Bare basic overview:

Name: Eshomamud (Silentthunders)
(Brief) description: Heavily militarized fortress with a 98% recruitment rate, self sufficient and constantly under attack by undead ravens. Essentially one big mega project, almost all work is done above ground. No native metals (until recently - tetrahedrite), but the last caravan brought vast fields of metal with it. The quarry on the top left is being dug all the way down so that the Dwarves have access to the caverns, and the caverns have access to the Dwarves. It's on zlvl -20, still no caverns yet though.
Unfinished.
Spoiler: Most recent screen cap (click to show/hide)
Everything else is either under construction, secret or hard to capture in an image. That's all!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:00:39 pm »

10/10 Obviously.  None of my fortresses look anywhere near that good, or get anywhere near that large.  Still, I suppose I should post to keep it going.

Fortress Name: Wetwater the Flood of Lakes
Current Population: 219
Fortress age: 4.5 years
A typical fortress in most ways except for the residents, being my usual dragonmen modded race instead of dwarves.  The fortress was origonally designed to work out a front gate trap system as effective as the old ones, while still allowing caravans in.  So there is nothing particularly fancy.

The fortress race is carnivorous, so there are few farms, only a 3x3 farm for production of rope reed for trade and cloth and a farm for a modded plant to replace buggy lye in soap reactions.  So far the fortress has been primarily subsisting off of fish from the lake and hunting the large savanna wildlife (Rhinos, Elephants, Giraffe) with trade supplementing.  Current food supplies show 5800 slabs of meat, and 500 processed fish.  Enough for a little over three years of food unsupplied.   

Primary livestock is sheep, though as the fortress has been subsisting off of hunting, the livestock numbers are low, and the sheep are mostly just for wool.  The dog population is extremely high however, and that could potentially be used as the primary food source in an emergency.

Local metal supply consists of iron copper and silver, with marble on the map as well, so there is local steel production.

In place defenses consist of 2 lines of 1xSerrated disk traps, and a simple one-shot cartcannon system.  Wagon merchants can bypass the defenses with a winding underground passage.   Military consists of 2 Swordsmen, 6 Spearmen, and 8 crossbowmen and 9 Fortress guards(macemen) the small army of roughly 15 hunters can also be drafted should the need arise.

Dwarf Fortress Map Archive link=  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11342-wetwaterthefloodoflakes
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:36 am »

Is that a river source connected to a lake? Rare embark :P

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:36:50 am »

And is that bridge going into a wall?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:07 am »

Its a regular river going into a lake as far as I know.  Not the first time I've seen them look like that, but it dosn't seem to always happen.  I just figured that at some time Toady made rivers act a bit more like deltas to large bodies of water.

And the bridge near the bloody traps is part of the caravan access.  It's a long twisting 3 wide tunnel that exits on the other side of the river.  Invaders don't take it because it doublebacks on itself a few times, making it the longest path in, but caravans take it because they are blocked by the traps from the short way.  It lets the caravans get around the traps while still forcing invaders to get softened up a little by them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:50:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:52 pm »

I do hope this thread doesn't fall into a coma, it has potential ^_^

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

The dead walk. Hide while you still can!

...Get it? 'Cause, you know, necromancers?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »

Well LoudWhispers, you might have wounded the thread fatally by posting a historically epic 11/10 fort in the first post, what is anyone else to do to follow that up?

Greiger, 9/10, high marks for hunting as subsistence and cartcannon defense, and a point taking the time for Stonesense having a sprite rather than a '?' for your Dragons. 

I'll post one to keep the trend moving towards lower scores so that people feel comfortable posting again :)

It's a pretty basic utilitarian rectangular fort
, designed basically as a testing arena for modded weapons & combat abilities.  Defenses are haphazard and mediocre carefully calibrated to provide the appropriate level of testing.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:51:35 pm »

10/10! I love your design plan, it's far close to an actual "fortress" than anything I've attempted yet.

(I take notes during play and save pictures of abandoned fortresses, and the notes in their own seperate folders)

Demonworship
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Image:

Angerballs:

No images for Angerballs

These are my two fortresses that I've made so far in this wave of me playing DF

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:33 am »

found the old one!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:53:00 am »

I cant find it #1
#2 I thought without your god fortress there it would get more people... It didnt work...

It just needs more content :P