Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shadows over Macapá - A Forum Game of Dark Fantasy (Open&Accepting Applications)  (Read 1935 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

These nights, things never seem to change. Which is why,
I suppose, I should not have been surprised to see her there.
What a shame.
The air was clean, fresh. Petrichor mingling with the
stench of fish, the bustle of man. We already knew what
we had to do.
When that fucker came into the bar, I knew something
was wrong. Pansies like him? They stay the fuck away from our
place, they know what's good for 'em.

Presenting a Collaboration Between Thatkid and Deep_Waters...

Some days, you almost start to forget what they've done,
how you can't go back. Some days. This wasn't one, but I was
glad for that.
In my line of work you just gotta roll with the punches, take
the good with the bad, do what you can and hope. It was
like that the day I died, too
I shouldn't have, but I did. You know how much one
of them old relics are worth? Well, fuck, so I took it. Yeah,
of course I'm regretting it NOW.

Shadows over Macapá
A Dark Fantasy Forum Game

The chains broke, he laughed and danced,
and for the first time, for the first time, I was alive.
Why did I kill him?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:26:02 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows over Macapá - A Forum Game of Dark Fantasy (Open)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »

Setting

Our world is not what it seems. Horrors lurk in the shadows of the night, watching us, utilizing us for their own sick and twisted ends. They don't want to be seen, and for all our rationality, all our willingness to believe they don't exist, we aid them in that. Sometimes, though, on a moonless night, someone pulls aside the curtain, and sees the world as it truly is. Some change, joining the chorus of lost souls which haunt our perimeters. Some fight back. Others seek simply to know. Whichever path you chose, this is your story.

Macapá is a capital city in Northern Brazil. It is separated from others of its ilk by a lack of highways, though, situated upon a river delta, it has plenty of access to the ocean and trade, as well as the rain forest and a variety of Incan ruins and other secrets which might be found within. With a rich history involving Spanish colonization, Portuguese military detachments, and French immigrants from other areas of South America, and a present involving corrupt politics, drug cartels, and tourism, Macapá, the fifth richest city in Brazil, boasts a wide variety of cultures, people, and things which go bump in the night.

The majority of Macapá's citizenry speak Portuguese as their first language, but are fluent in both French and English as well, owing to trade ties close proximity to French Guinea. Aside from a thriving tourist industry, and the standard, overpowered drug cartels of South America, city life is largely the same as it is anywhere else.

Outside of Macapá, in the rain forest, indigenous tribes still hold fast to their way of life in the face of rapid modernization. On occasion, young men will leave to find some form of work within the city itself, but just as often they remain on what land the Brazilian government has allotted to them, contending with logging companies and the horrors of the Rain Forest whilst clinging fast to their ancestral religion.

With a population of about 40,000 in 2006, however, it is by no means the largest city. Still, there is plenty of room to get lost, and with the hustle and bustle of incoming shipments, cruise lines, and etc. there are always fresh faces and fresh meat.

Character Creation
This game will be making use of the new World of Darkness rules. That being said, you do not need to have access to the rules, or know the rules to participate. If you do, that's all the better, however.

There are two ways in which you can apply. Option A is for players who do not know the rules, or who don't feel like cracking open their books at the moment. Option B is for players who have access to the rules and want to handle the mechanical aspect on their own.
The following holds true for all players, regardless of character creation style:
  • All characters begin with 35 experience points. These may be used to purchase templates (see below).
  • Any character may have no more than 2 mechanical flaws. You're free to play a blind quadriplegic sociopath with a dark past, but only two of those issues will ever net you extra exp.
  • Only supernaturals may lower their Morality at character creation, at a rate of 3exp gained per dot for a maximum of 9exp gained. This must be supported in backstory. Mortals do not have this option, unless they're Hunters.
  • Any character who starts as a supernatural may begin play as a mortal, in a prelude. Otherwise, Mortals will become supernatural as plot and dramatic convention dictates.
  • All characters who start as a Supernatural MUST discuss things with both thatkid and Deep_waters, via PM, before they can begin. This is to provide you with setting information related to your template.

And now we can safely move on to character creation options:

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:28 pm »

This is a reserved post.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »

This is also a reserved post.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserve for Sheet.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Reserved for sheet.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved for sheet.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please do not reserve a post for your sheet. It pretty clearly says to send a PM to both myself and Deep Waters.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile

This seems like a thread I shouldn't post in yet buuuut... Bump.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This seems like a thread I shouldn't post in yet buuuut... Bump.
Apologies.

People who have PM'd us will be getting responses today. Schoolwork and etc. have been...unpleasant, to say the least, and I haven't had time to go over things.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile

So I've figured out my character and all of that and sent you guys PMs regarding it. I know you are busy but I assume everyone else has done the same.

Is this dead? I think one update and we would definitely be off of the ground.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!