Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mortal Castes  (Read 773 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Mortal Castes
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »

So I know that you cant make other civilized races part of your group without DFusion, but the different castes can be made of the same race to represent each mortal race. I know someone has done it before. Anyone know where i could find where they did this? and if it works with tilesets?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Castes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

and if it works with tilesets?

sadly no, because the displayed tile is tied to profession rather than caste/race.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »

Well can you tie a tileset to a caste? I know that it wont change for perfession then, but that would be ok.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »

I think you can do something like it in ASCII by using CASTE_TILE token.

But in [OBJECT:GRAPHICS], the page is selected by creature, and the tile is selected by profession.  Nothing about caste.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:20:59 pm »

I think you can do something like it in ASCII by using CASTE_TILE token.

But in [OBJECT:GRAPHICS], the page is selected by creature, and the tile is selected by profession.  Nothing about caste.

Something does need to be done about that...

Anyway, while you can create multiple castes, not all of them will appear on embark.  The screen chooses what you get at random.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

So I know that you cant make other civilized races part of your group without DFusion, but the different castes can be made of the same race to represent each mortal race. I know someone has done it before. Anyone know where i could find where they did this? and if it works with tilesets?
The last person I know of to do this was back in DF2010, so any version you find would probably be horribly outdated. Also note that by doing so you bring up the caste randomization problem, making things like a dwarf and an elf getting married and then giving birth to a kobold and a goblin, possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

The last person I know of to do this was back in DF2010, so any version you find would probably be horribly outdated. Also note that by doing so you bring up the caste randomization problem, making things like a dwarf and an elf getting married and then giving birth to a kobold and a goblin, possible.

It shouldn't be that outdated. Not much changed between DF2010 and DF2012 when it comes to the creature_standard creatures.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:38:14 am »

It shouldn't be that outdated. Not much changed between DF2010 and DF2012 when it comes to the creature_standard creatures.
It was early 2010 and it wasn't just a creature combine thing. They had a variety of other effects as well in the mod.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 04:39:43 am »

Oh? I made one in late 2011, as well.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »

Oh? I made one in late 2011, as well.

You probably shoulda just said that in the first place...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

Well Putnam, where is yours?  ??? It would be helpful in my search if you gave me what i was looking for lol.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »

Oh, hehe.

here.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:36 pm »

So this works with tilesets, and i just paste the dwarf file from here over dwarves in my standard file?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »

It does not work with graphics, since caste graphics are still not in. You paste BOTH files into the raws.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 03:47:23 am »

Ergh. So it's not yet possible to do caste graphics?
Damn. There goes my dreams of Gestahl Magitek Armor graphics.