Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safe Fishing?  (Read 1666 times)

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safe Fishing?
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »

So my fisher dwarfs are super dumb, they like to wander around outside where it is not safe at all. Is there a way to make fishing safe?

I attempted to divert the river underground to run past the fortress, but they couldn't catch any fish.

If I bar off the water will fish still be able to go through?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »

Designate fishing zones with i, then use (o)rders to change fishing preferences to Zone-Only fishing. That should help a little.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:34:21 am »

A wave of migrants caught a bunch of fish out of my river attached well.

I'm not sure how it happened, but it's good.

I gave up on fishing in favor of eggs like three fortresses ago.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:54 am »

Build a wall round their favourite fishing spot, then dig a stair down within that wall that leads back to your entrance. Or I suppose you could try to keep them there in their own mini-fort, and drop the fish down to your fort.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

Build a wall round their favourite fishing spot, then dig a stair down within that wall that leads back to your entrance. Or I suppose you could try to keep them there in their own mini-fort, and drop the fish down to your fort.
I like to do the whole building a wall around a designated fishing spot myself, but I go a step further and add a ceiling over the damn thing. Then, in the event that there may be something that would come up through the river I provide a mechanism that would cover the water and make it impassable to most anything. I'm not certain if there are any mobs with the [BUILDING_DESTROYER] tag that go under the water through a stream or river so usually I just use several grates linked up to a lever in the main control room when I do this sort of thing.

And if that's not enough I'll see about throwing in a goblin blender as the only way into the fishing spot from the main fortress, made so that anything hostile that goes in gets sliced and diced into a fine mist as they try to get out of said trap. At least in theory, seeing as the most I've caught in a goblin blender at any given time have been peregrine falcons and other similar birds that get in before I put the ceiling over it. I haven't been persistent enough to see a fortress through to an event that lets actual goblins in because in the past I tend to get really bored with a fortress after the first two or three years and just start a new one.