Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last Hope of Dwarven Civilization  (Read 1266 times)

tehhoods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Last Hope of Dwarven Civilization
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »

In Fortress mode, I want to run a fort that is the last stronghold the dwarves have. If this place falls, then they will be scattered forever. How should I set up world creation to get these conditions, or as close as I can?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: Last Hope of Dwarven Civilization
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »

Dwarf civilizations will only spawn on non-evil non-savage mountain regions, so if you gen the world with less mountains and more evil/savagery, you will (conceptually) get fewer dwarf civs.

You will need to generate lots of worlds for testing. Parameters can vary wildly.

I think Toady is developing "inheritance" right now.
So in the current release, I think all civs eventually shrink / die off,
but Toady will likely fix this so that civilizations may expand and grow in the next release
(i.e. it may be harder in later releases to actually be "the last dwarf fortress" standing).

Check the wiki, google: dwarf fortress world gen

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:19:52 pm »

Look at this page, it should help you generate a dwarfless world. Alternatively, make islands.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »

Less mountains, more evil, edit civ raws so dwarves spread slower and have smaller maxpop; and gobs can take moutnains.  Give gobs higher spread rate and elve mountaineering.  Change dwarf ethics to be constantly at war with humans.  Conversely replace kobolds with Spawn or Chaos or something evil
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »

You might also try genning smaller worlds, or even pocket worlds. The close proximity compels the civs to war with each other constantly and take over each others' sites. Many times I've found dwarven civs without any visible sites in the finder, because the humans or goblins have taken them over (I've never seen the elves do anything but die off). Caravans and migrants still arrive like normal, but from where I have no idea. You might need to gen several to get this, but small worlds go fast.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »

(I've never seen the elves do anything but die off).

I have seen them own dwarven ass.  Whole civs only though, as if they are genociding.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:13 pm »

Many times I've found dwarven civs without any visible sites in the finder, because the humans or goblins have taken them over (I've never seen the elves do anything but die off).

Why so green dear elflings?

Yep, an elven civ took over a few goblin sites and got themselves killed. Only the greenskin civ members survived.
Oh, and they used to have a dwarven princess.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:47:52 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »

Oh, and they used to have a dwarven princess.
The elves were so bad at being elves the Dwarves had to raise the standards.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:18:16 pm »

Modding trick: add [BONECARN] to dwarf creature, gen world, remove [BONECARN] from data/save/region(actual number)/raws/creature_standard, play. Dwarfkind will be extinct, you'll only get 2 migrant waves and a caravan (dfhack makeown at caravan traders and guards, if you'd rather not waste them).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:52:40 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

tehhoods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:12:21 am »

Thanks, I'll give some of these a try.