Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How deep is the majority of your fortress?  (Read 3308 times)

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How deep is the majority of your fortress?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

I usually build my main fortress as near the magma layer as possible to minimize bar-hauling trips. Water can be brought to create a farm near there as well. Then a whole series of vertically stacked rooms around a central shaft with the top connecting to the surface via a series of traps.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:00 am »

I don't farm so I do not need the soil layers.

You... don't farm?  Really?

It's possible... Albeit difficult. Armour for clothes (all children will go insane), all Dwarves must go sober (possibly go insane), butcheries for food or imports.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 06:17:49 am »

I don't farm so I do not need the soil layers.

You... don't farm?  Really?

It's possible... Albeit difficult. Armour for clothes (all children will go insane), all Dwarves must go sober (possibly go insane), butcheries for food or imports.

Farming just doesn't sound very dwarfy. I import plants and drinks by trading, if there's not enough booze for the entire year the dwarves will have to do with water or milk for a while as the mead production won't usually produce enough booze. They will easily survive that, and there's more reason for a party when a caravan arrives with booze or brewable materials. Caravans bring more than enough cloth for the clothing industry, and then there's always silk from the caverns. Also the fatality rate in my fortress is usually so high, that I have plenty of clothing from diseased dwarves lying around. I usually have far more food than I can eat, from butchering wild animals and the occasional forgotten beast (One forgotten beast can feed a reasonably sized fortress for over a year), then there's fishing, eggs etc...

Actually the main reason is that feeding an entire fortress from a small plump helmet farm seems wrong. Having to go outside for your food, or having to trade for it makes the game a lot more fun, as you can't just wall your fortress up when a siege arrives, you have to break the siege as you would have to do in real life, or you will run into food and booze problems..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:23:18 am by Bralbaard »

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 08:31:42 am »

you have to break the siege as you would have to do in real life, or you will run into food and booze problems..

This. What I do though is play with the Modest Mod and the Seasonal Crops Module Enabled to make it a bit tougher. Then, I put my farmers and farms outside of the walls. This makes it  a little tougher and more fun to defend them for me.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:15 am »

I put my farms and food industry on the first soil layer, along with my depot.  The military is also on this level to protect it.  General industry usually goes on the soil layer under that if there is one.  Then metalworking is at the first layer I can find magma.  Crypt goes at the deepest I can dig, with my jail somewhere inbetween it and the metalworks.  Bedrooms, offices, and the hospital are somewhere between generic industry and metalworks, usually right above or below the first cavern.

It's not very efficient, but eh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »

Farming just doesn't sound very dwarfy.
The first thing that comes to mind when someone says Dorf is just that - a legendary potash maker sitting atop barrels of mead, wine and pig tails whilst surrounded by the bees.
Pages: 1 2 [3]