Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A really simply question, how do you make a hole?  (Read 1061 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
A really simply question, how do you make a hole?
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:45 pm »

I can't seem to figure it out, I can build all sorts of stairs but I just want to dig a hole so I can throw thing down it. Like at the top of the caverns/lava sea, or keep making holes for like 15 levels so I can throw goblins down it.

Astronomygoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A really simply question, how do you make a hole?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:13:21 am »

What I do is I dig out a 3x3 room, and then dig another 3x3 room directly under the first room. Then simply dig a channel on a single square in the uppermost room. And you have a hole in the floor. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this way you'll at least understand the mechanics behind it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:17:29 am »

Do you meaan Channeling? do that 1 level above where you want them to dig.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:10:35 am »

A dwarf will continue to dig under him for as long as you need him to. Have a contructed wall at the end blocking off a stairway after you get the dwarf out.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:42:38 am »

Do you meaan Channeling? do that 1 level above where you want them to dig.
Or by digging ramps 1 z lvl below where you want them to dig :P

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:25:11 am »

I was channeling a ditch in an extra entrance/exit (which, when it had its bridge raised, made the TD supposedly inaccessible, even though it wasn't! Boo...) and my miner decided to take a break during his channeling and nearly starved to death!
So it has its issues.

If you're gonna go digging a big ol' ditch many z-levels down designate your dwarfs to 'channel' (command: d-h) an area, you then have a ditch 1 z-level deep, do it again in the ditch, and again, and again and then you can dig a path out, to a stairwell, you then wall off the path.
You might want to do it in stages (first 5 levels, then 10, etc.) to avoid the problem I had above.
And for the sake of your dwarfs' lives, only ever designate one layer to be channeled at a time.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:00:23 am »

If I channel out more than 1*1, I always add Stairs (with at least one tile bewteen the hole and the actual stairs). After your dwarf channeled as far as he likes , he can get out and when your hole is done, you can clhe game.ose the gaps between the hole and the stairs with constructed walls. The latter cannot be torn apart by anything in the game.