Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding Giant Echidnas  (Read 1876 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Breeding Giant Echidnas
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:58:58 am »

Title asks it: I have a male and a female, both tame. They are "exotic" and lay eggs. Do I need anything special to get them to lay eggs?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Giant Echidnas
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:04 am »

I'd assume the female needs a nest box to lay eggs, like any egg-laying animal. Seeing as they have the [CHILD] tag in their raws, I figure the eggs should even hatch if you prevent the dorfs from collecting them. [verify]
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:41:57 am »

I'd assume the female needs a nest box to lay eggs, like any egg-laying animal. Seeing as they have the [CHILD] tag in their raws, I figure the eggs should even hatch if you prevent the dorfs from collecting them. [verify]
I'm in the process of verifying. I built a nest box and the Giant Echidna took it right off the bat. The clutch size is 1, so the process of growing a population of GE's will take a while.

Speaking of which, do you know how they fair in battle?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:27:01 am »

Better than kobolds but worse than real soldiers. No armor or armor-piercing ability.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:18:19 am »

Get some giant hedgehogs too, and pit them against each other in an arena.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »

They're about the same size as lions. So roughly the same fighting ability theoretically.  But they're not predators, and I think they curl into a ball when threatened.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »

They're also capable of extreme speeds, esp. when following a trail of gold coins or if launched using a giant spring. Whenever they kill something, an adorable chick or squirrel comes out of its remains.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

They're also capable of extreme speeds, esp. when following a trail of gold coins or if launched using a giant spring. Whenever they kill something, an adorable chick or squirrel comes out of its remains.

Some times a Bunny or penguin, too

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »

Alright, so I need to forge some gold coins. Awesome.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 01:37:10 pm »

I don't know where Adequate Swimmer gets his info, but it should be gold rings, not gold coins.  Gold coins just promote the growth of sentient mushrooms

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »

I don't know where Adequate Swimmer gets his info, but it should be gold rings, not gold coins.  Gold coins just promote the growth of sentient mushrooms
I love Bay 12.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:55:12 pm »

The fact there really is a mod with sentient mushrooms makes it even better.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »

Plump helmet men are in vanilla DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:04:50 am »

Plump helmet men are in vanilla DF.

Isn't there a mod someone made where you can brwe/make plump helmet men? Or that they were pets or something?