Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A ridiculous problem  (Read 2097 times)

Ecencemir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A ridiculous problem
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:48:07 pm »

Hello. I'm more or less a complete rookie when it comes to DF. I've just begun playing the game (which is absolutely outstanding btw) and haven't made any real progress with it.
I have made about 20 worlds and 30 embarks. Why? Because of fortress design flaws. Now that I know exactly how my fortress (more of a fancy outpost rather than a sophisticated metropolis) should look like I've run into a small problem. It has nothing to do with the game mechanics since it's actually a visual issue.

Here's a picture to better help you understand the problem.

It just makes my eyes bleed and I need something to fix it. I was thinking if there is a way to restrict gem and metal occurance on certain z-levels and decrease the diversity of minerals in a certain region. I dont need 5 different types of stone, 10 types of gems and 3 types of metal appearing in a 10m^2 area.

This issue is a huge issue for a player type like me. And yes I know all of this looks and sounds like a joke, but I'm dead serious.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:00:20 pm by Ecencemir »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A ridiculous problem
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »

Walls and floors can be constructed too, so you can choose their color. At least I guess it's your problem. Your image is broken.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »

You can make minerals more scarce in the world gen, and not embark/build at the border between biomes, but yeah that image you show is pretty tame.  You are always going to encounter various materials like that.  Agree with the previous poster that you will probably have to see if constructing uniform floors and walls makes you happy.  Remember that you can use stockpile management to control the input to your Mason's shop, so that you get blocks of all one stone type.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »

Or you could just edit the raws, change stones to have less color diversity.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »

I'm going to put marble and (given its insane quantity) zinc floors over every room in my current fort.  For now, though, I'm happy just to have the magma finally churning!

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:42:21 am »

I have this same problem. I tend to choose relatively flat maps, then at least you don't get different stone layers intersecting through the middle of your fort. Sometimes I edit out useless cluster rocks like alunite/orthoclase in the raws.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:35 am »

You could go into the raws and adjust the colour of the offending stone to match the rest of your fort. Or adjust the colour palette for a less garish image, there are some sample colour schemes on the wiki.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 07:36:50 am »

Another option is dfhack. Use "reveal" command and then cursor over the stone you want to change and use "changevein" command. You can change to whatever your want. (Example "changevein LIMESTONE").  Just make sure you are paused before you "reveal" and don't forget to "unreveal" before you unpause.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »

You could dig in stone layers that are more uniform. e.g. from the wiki:

Because diorite does not contain a wide variety of large cluster and veins, it is an interesting layer for players who insist on color uniformity. Digging and carving inside a Diorite layer will produce an uniformly dark gray area with occasional gold veins and small gem clusters.

Also, try smoothing your rooms, or at least the walls. Maybe it will look better to you. If not, as the others said you could dig out the wall and build a new one of your desired color.

My problem is usually getting the furniture the right color. No, I don't want the bright cyan microcline door in my nice dark grey gabboro living spaes with dark gray coffers and cabinets and black doors. :( But that can be fixed with stockpile links.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Another option is dfhack. Use "reveal" command and then cursor over the stone you want to change and use "changevein" command. You can change to whatever your want. (Example "changevein LIMESTONE").  Just make sure you are paused before you "reveal" and don't forget to "unreveal" before you unpause.
But you'd have to do that for every vein. It'd be easier to alter it once in the raws than keep doing it every time.

If you had a text replacement program, you could look for [DISPLAY_COLOR and change it to [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]. This would result in a bunch of messy lines reading [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]:6:7:0] (for example) and is a totally hacky way of doing it, but the game can handle closing brackets with no opening brackets. Only do this in the files for stone and gems.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.