Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clumsy dwarves  (Read 978 times)

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clumsy dwarves
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:32:13 am »

In all of my forts, I never observed dwarven clumsiness: falling down stairs, falling over ledges, et cetera. (I have, of course, had my share of dwarves standing on tiles as they're mined out or deconstructed and silly things like that)

My recent project has been trying to carve out a fortress in a glacier. I've been replaying the initial couple months, and I've worked out how to my cistern to get water from a cave-in. I designate a couple tiles off the corner to let water out for dwarves to access, and a 7 Z-level stairwell to the surface.

For aesthetics, I designate all of the stone in the bottom to dumped into a garbage pile I create where the dwarves will be getting water. Suddenly, I find myself with two lightly injured dwarves and one very injured dwarf at the bottom of the stairs! My best guess is that one of them fell down the stairwell.

So I reload from the beginning and try again. This time I use a ramp instead of a stairwell to get down to the bottom. Designate the stone to be dumped, and I wind up with a dead dwarf this time, and I'm not really sure what happened: maybe got pushed off the ledge and fell one Z-level? (and was very unlucky, or maybe the stone she was carrying dropped on her)

Given that this has happened two for two, I'm suspecting there's something causal. What causes dwarves to be klutzy?

Are they automatically klutzes in freezing biomes? (both times I found the injured/dead dwarves in my stone layer, though)

Does crowding increase clumsiness? (both times my dwarves rushed into a relatively narrow area for dumping duty)

Are there any other factors I should be aware of?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Clumsy dwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:31 am »

The injuries seem to be related to the dumping. Read the combat reports (r) and see if they mention any falling rocks or something like that.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:58:51 am »

3 for 3 now. Is it that when they drop a stone on the dump square, it injures all of the other dwarves on the square? I've dumped stone before but never seen this: is this new? Or could it be that my particular conditions just yield a higher density of dwarves than I've generated before?

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:03 am »

Fourth times the charm, though: this time I moved the garbage dump to the surface where there's more room. No dwarf injuries! (of course, it means no combat reports to relay too)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:45:40 am »

If you use the current version, dumping on the same z-level shouldn't hurt the creature on the tile. I've read some odd stuff involving ramps, though, but that doesn't explain the injuries from your first try. It's difficult to say anything definitive because I don't know your exact setups.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:53 am »

If you use the current version, dumping on the same z-level
Ooooooooooooooh, that's what was going on. Because of the cramped space,  I had placed the dump in one of the squares where intended for my dwarves to stand to gather water. So, they were tossing the rocks down into the trough where the other dwarves were hauling other stones.

I had never used the "dump off of a cliff" feature; in fact, since I started playing DF again, I hadn't even remembered it existed until your reply.