Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [FIXED!] Dwarves are un-quantuming my quantum stockpile -.-  (Read 623 times)

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[FIXED!] Dwarves are un-quantuming my quantum stockpile -.-
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »

Heya,
I've got a minecart-based quantum stockpile set up, but things don't really seem to be working.

I've got a standard food stockpile, minecart system, and a single-square food stockpile. The minecart collects food from the standard stockpile, then successfully dumps it onto the single-square food stockpile. The food stacks, and everything seems to be quantuming nicely. The food consists of plump helmets and plump helmet spawn. I've got a farm set up.

The problem is, my dwarves are hauling from the quantum stockpile back to the main stockpile! This creates a loop of food movement, which isn't too efficient.

How can I stop my dwarves from un-quantuming the stockpile?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:56:47 pm by Aegis »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are un-quantuming my quantum stockpile -.-
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »

The most common cause is an overzealous use of barrels.  The food in your quantum stockpile isn't in barrels, so naturally your dwarves absolutely must find barrels and put the food into them.  Then, why, they've got this barrel o' food in their hands, so they've gotta put that in a stockpile... and your quantum stockpile doesn't have room, so they put it in some other food stockpile.

Best bet is either to forbid the food that's being quantumed from all other stockpiles, or to forbid the use of barrels in any other stockpiles that are storing that kind of food.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are un-quantuming my quantum stockpile -.-
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »

Brilliant! That did the trick!
I disallowed use of barrels in my primary food stockpile, and the dwarves stopped moving the food back and forth. This solution is much more elegant than the magma/spike method I had devised to gently indicate to my dwarves that I did not want the food moved.

Thank you! :D