Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I found a glitch  (Read 3615 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think I found a glitch
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »

So I am using masterwork mod and ill post on that thread too. But it was right before the start of winter and the dwarven caravan came to my fortress for the first year. I had my seeds and some war dogs outside still and the caravan started to unload goods. A few minutes after I called my broker over the wagons burst into flames and burnt down the entire forest. I lost some dogs, all my seeds, my fod was cooked, (I think) and my broker went missing. He was really a pile of ash and clothing on the edge of the map. I was lucky too have a previous save and I rushed everything under ground. But nothing happened this time around. Has anyone had this happen before in vanilla? What happened?, boiling leather? 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I think I found a glitch
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

So I am using masterwork mod and ill post on that thread too.
Nope, masterwork stuff just happened.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:45:17 pm »

That happens for me sometimes too, it's quite annoying. I think it's the fire mines going off.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:25 pm »

Vanilla-bug stuff can happen, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:38:56 pm »

Except this isn't a bug.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:46:33 pm »

Except this isn't a bug.
Yes, but you said, basically, "This is Masterwork, anything weird that happens is something that Meph put in."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

Except this isn't a bug.
Yes, but you said, basically, "This is Masterwork, anything weird that happens is something that Meph put in."
I think its just a bug from vanilla or masterwork. I don't think meph put that in. But it probably was fire mines like speakafreak22 said.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »

Except this isn't a bug.
I think its just a bug from vanilla or masterwork. I don't think meph put that in. But it probably was fire mines like speakafreak22 said.
Probably. I just don't like it when people assume than anything unexpected that happens in Masterwork must be because of Masterwork.
I dunno why, I don't even play that mod.
Sig

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:37 pm »

No I said "masterwork stuff just happened." That's a great deal more different from "MEPH DID IT MEPH DID IT ALL, EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T USE MASTERWORK MEPH MEPH MEPH."

Seriously calm down GWG, I swear you are getting adept at finding faults with things I don't say.

Probably. I just don't like it when people assume than anything unexpected that happens in Masterwork must be because of Masterwork.
Except that with all of my experience with vanilla DF AND the upper boards, there have been countless threads regarding unusual deaths, in game phenomena and so on (INCLUDING THINGS BURSTING INTO FLAME) only for each and every one to mention they use masterwork. Meph even showed up in one of them apologizing for things he had no need to apologize for.
The OP mentioned the use of masterwork, and nothing else that would explain why a wagon would burst into flame in vanilla like odd ramps/flag magma pits.

1. Experience
2. Logic

->Conclude that masterwork people could solve this better than general DF people

I don't make assumptions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »

No I said "masterwork stuff just happened." That's a great deal more different from "MEPH DID IT MEPH DID IT ALL, EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T USE MASTERWORK MEPH MEPH MEPH."

Seriously calm down GWG, I swear you are getting adept at finding faults with things I don't say.
I said you said, "This is Masterwork, anything weird that happens is something that Meph put in."
You had said that it was definitely a Masterwork thing, and quoted the part where the OP said it was Masterwork.

Except that with all of my experience with vanilla DF AND the upper boards, there have been countless threads regarding unusual deaths, in game phenomena and so on (INCLUDING THINGS BURSTING INTO FLAME) only for each and every one to mention they use masterwork. Meph even showed up in one of them apologizing for things he had no need to apologize for.
The OP mentioned the use of masterwork, and nothing else that would explain why a wagon would burst into flame in vanilla like odd ramps/flag magma pits.

1. Experience
2. Logic

->Conclude that masterwork people could solve this better than general DF people

I don't make assumptions.
The way your first post in this thread went made it sound like you were...Sorry if I'm sounding suspicious.
Sig

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 04:24:52 pm »

... Has anyone had this happen before in vanilla? What happened?, boiling leather? 

A bit of google searching didn't turn up any spontaneous combustion bugs in the last few vanilla versions. However there have been many reports of modding-related fires.

It's possible with the right placement of magma, ramps, and caravan wagons to set the wagons or animals on fire.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »

Some caravan's in MW carry magma exports and explode. Known bug.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »

Perhaps this is a return of the boiling leather?
Armok help your fort if that is the case...

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »

Perhaps this is a return of the boiling leather?
Armok help your fort if that is the case...
Well it didnt happen when loaded a previous save and tried the season again. So I hope not.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »

What happened was when Meph coded various alchemical reactions into his mod, he also added chemical materials. Most of those materials came in powder form. What happened was that caravans would bring mercury. The liquidiness messed with the powderiness(yes, I know those aren't real adverbs), which caused it to appear at maximum temperature. The standard stone template causes high-temperature stone to appear as magma. The magma will then ignite its container, and then everything else in the caravan. I think that the latest release fixed it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?