Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is wrong with DF on Mac?! HELP! [Fixed]  (Read 2357 times)

ESMP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What is wrong with DF on Mac?! HELP! [Fixed]
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:36 am »

Hi there!

I'm completely new to DF and so far it's been a traumatizing experience... not because of the game itself, but because I can't launch it!

Today, when I was about to leave from work, I downloaded and tried running the mac version of DF and it ran just fine. But when I got home and tried running DF it crashes on launch (and certainly I can't understand why) with the following error:

Last login: Thu Aug 30 00:06:06 on ttys000
server:~ ESMP$ /Users/ESMP/Desktop/df_osx/df ; exit;
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
/Users/ESMP/Desktop/df_osx/df: line 12:  7852 Bus error: 10           ./dwarfort.exe
logout

[Process completed]

Now... I'm starting to go berserk because I just don't get it... both are desktop computers (iMac), both have Mountain Lion installed, both have XQuartz installed and yet... I can't make my home iMac to launch the game... Please... can someone help here?

I'm trying to run the latest version 0.34.11.

Cheers,

- Eduardo
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:24:26 am by ESMP »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with DF on Mac?! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:10:35 am »

My first guess would be that you might have accidentally corrupted part of your DF install on your home computer. Bus errors will show up when the code attempts to reference stored information that has since been moved or stored in an invalid location, so redownloading and reinstalling DF would be my first thought at a solution.

Other then that the only things that come to my mind immediately are that part of your home operating system that controls memory has been messed with, though you should probably wait to see if anybody else has a better answer before you go reinstalling mountain lion and XQuartz.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:06:24 am »

DF might not be compatible with Mountain Lion yet. Your problems sound like bug 0006011.
You could try running the Windows version using Wine.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:02 am »

This happens to me when I run df from a relative path, e.g. ./stuff/df/df. Go into Terminal, cd into the df directory (you might type cd and drag the folder onto the window), and run ./df. If that doesn't work, ~/path/to/df/df will.
Just double-clicking on the df script should also work.
Hastur ! Hastur ! Hastur !
There, no effect
YOU FOOL! YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!
Got Bitten by a werebeast, problem solved.

ESMP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:06 am »

My first guess would be that you might have accidentally corrupted part of your DF install on your home computer. Bus errors will show up when the code attempts to reference stored information that has since been moved or stored in an invalid location, so redownloading and reinstalling DF would be my first thought at a solution.

Other then that the only things that come to my mind immediately are that part of your home operating system that controls memory has been messed with, though you should probably wait to see if anybody else has a better answer before you go reinstalling mountain lion and XQuartz.

Hey! Thank you for your answers... and well... I've tried reinstalling DF over and over again with no luck. I did reinstall XQuartz again without success and I was considering reinstalling Mountain Lion but argh... If I'm doing that then I was thinking on doing a clean install of it but that's such a pain... anyway I'll keep it as my last resource.

This happens to me when I run df from a relative path, e.g. ./stuff/df/df. Go into Terminal, cd into the df directory (you might type cd and drag the folder onto the window), and run ./df. If that doesn't work, ~/path/to/df/df will.
Just double-clicking on the df script should also work.

Well I've tried running it from terminal, with the df script and nothing works... :0(

DF might not be compatible with Mountain Lion yet. Your problems sound like bug 0006011.
You could try running the Windows version using Wine.

Hmmm... by the looks of it, yes... it seems I have the exact same problem there! I'll keep an eye on that thread. The problem is, I tried joining the Mantis Bug Reporting platform but I never received my registration confirmation so I can't post anything there... (someone wants me not to play this game, huh?) And yes, I'm currently using Crossover as my backup and it works perfectly.

Anyway, thank you for comments and I hope someone comes up with a solution to this. I'm just shocked that I can run it fine on my office's computer but not at home's... (and they want me to be productive at work... ha!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:51:39 am by ESMP »

ESMP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:24:01 am »

So I did a clean Mountain Lion install... and it fixed the problem (finally I can sleep peacefully). I wanted to do the clean install when I upgraded to ML but I really hate backing everything up and then restoring... but not being able to run a terminal app was the last straw.

I don't know why that actually fixed it... must have been some corrupt system files and I'm starting to think CleanMyMac might be the culprit after using the "cleaning" (Universal Binary or Development Junk) feature on some files.

So anyone having that bus crash and willing to spend a whole day backing up and restoring... there's the solution.

Anyway, now it's time to go crazy with the game itself. :0)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:32:43 am by ESMP »