Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Weaponizing a Stockpile Bug  (Read 845 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
On Weaponizing a Stockpile Bug
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:44:55 am »

The below pic demonstrates a bug. I don't know if it's reproducible yet, but if it is, I think it might possibly be good to weaponize.

WHAT HAPPENED:
    I'm playing a glacier map in a modded version of Dwarf Fortress. There are three modded races: The Holistic Spawn (Mr Frog's), the Seqiv (Mr Frog's), and the Scythod (mine). As you can see from the pic, war has been constant and very, very deadly. I completely filled my refuse and corpse stockpiles.
    Then, a beautiful thing happened. A dwarf threw a tantrum and destroyed my bridge. Everyone in the fort was too busy stockpiling corpses (and in the hospital) to rebuild the bridge so my dwarves could escape, so I had someone remove a wall from around my corpse/refuse stockpiles to allow me access to the surface.

What followed was instantaneous. EVERYTHING in the stockpile immediately teleported OUT, all collecting in a single space, as indicated in the below pic.

As this is Bay12, I wouldn't be surprised if someone's already discovered this bug (if it's reproducible). My immediate thoughts went to how it might be possible to set a row of stockpiles filled with heavy/sharp items above a long trench, through which I could funnel enemies. As they entered, I might have dwarves destroy walls near the stockpiles, raining potentially thousands of items down on the invaders' heads. Granted, it would be an awful mess to clean up... but it sounds so dwarfy.

The fort is still alive, and I'm still cleaning up the mess, but I thought I'd put this up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:58:10 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Weaponizing a Stockpile Bug
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:35:10 am »

I don't know if this can be easily weaponized.  The bug in question is the deconstruction bug where the building materials of the item being deconstructed is teleported to the location of the worker deconstructing the item.  The bug is that it pulls everything in that particular 16x16 block (but not across z-levels) to the worker.  Since the worker has to be standing on an appropriate tile to deconstruct the wall/floor/whatever, the items that teleport in must also be on that tile.

I suppose you could find a spot that is on the edge of a 16x16 area, build a retracting bridge on the tile you want as the top of the drop zone with a stockpile behind it in the 16x16 area (you'd pull (16x16)-1 tiles of items at best, by the way), and a wall next to the bridge so the deconstruction work has to be done from that bridge.

It would, however, be much easier to just use a minecart/dump shaft to fill a tile/pit with your "ammo" and use a bridge or hatch to drop your collection of anvils on invaders.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:38:32 am »

I figured it'd been discovered before. Usually I keep my walls away from my stockpiles, so I've never seen it happen.

And oh well. I thought it was placed on the side of the wall opposite where the worker was standing - I must've had somebody trapped outside the fort that I didn't notice. It would be really hard to weaponize that, yeah, and a lot easier to go about it a different way. Thanks for the info, and for describing the bug in detail. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:03 am »

On the bright side, your first thought on encountering something new was to try and weaponize it. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »

I regularly use this to teleport the corpses of fallen enemies to a Atom smasher and destroy them before they reanimate.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability