Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tale of long forgotten code.  (Read 1043 times)

xGeovanni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A tale of long forgotten code.
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:02:43 am »

Once, a long long time ago, I was staring intently at IDLE, a python IDE.
I had been searching for something to code, and I decided to create a text based Japanese style RPG.
This was a foolish choice, as I had only just learned the basics of OOP, but still, I made a valiant effort, and in the end I sorta kinda succeeded.

Here are the results of that endeavor, as you can see it's crap code using many bad / sub-optimal practices. I recently found this code again and decided to finish it, but after discovering how awful it was to work with I decided instead to do the bare minimum to tie up the loose ends, and unleash the code for others, surely more talented than I, to do with what they will, be it simply playing the game, taking the code for their own purposes, or even taking on the impossible task of turning it in to a complete game.

Here is a compiled version if you want to play it.

So yeah, enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:12:48 am by xGeovanni »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: A tale of long forgotten code.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:19:52 am »

Do you have thoughts of improving and expanding on that game? :-0

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

xGeovanni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

Do you have thoughts of improving and expanding on that game? :-0

Not me, personally, for reasons I outlined above, but the "to do" list has some things I meant to do while I was working on it, if you want to try

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:12 am »

I can't. I don't know Python, and I don't understand what's up with it and command prompt parsers and whatnot ._.

...IDE please? xD

I -do- know C++. That's all.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

xGeovanni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:54:21 am »

I've added a download link for a compiled version for those wishing to play the game.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »

Very interesting!

...IDE please? xD

Integrated Developing Environment - It's like a special text editor for the language. It color-codes stuff and proofreads for stuff like parentheses.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:40 pm »

...IDE please? xD

Integrated Developing Environment - It's like a special text editor for the language. It color-codes stuff and proofreads for stuff like parentheses.

I'm confused as to why you're explaining this to me. o_o

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:48 am »

You could use Eric. I use it for dabbling in Ruby every now and again, and it supports Python.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »

...IDE please? xD

I'm confused as to why you're explaining this to me. o_o

Quite sorry. I live around hordes of non-programmers, and I saw IDE and a question mark. My instincts kicked in, so I automatically explained it.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games