Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demons, books, and spheres (worldgen interactions research)  (Read 8202 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demons, books, and spheres (worldgen interactions research)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »

This is really helpful. Good work.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

Hugo...that picture was beautiful? I laughed so hard I almsot woke up the family.

(Although on second read the first sentance has an extra fragment "I don't always take over human civilizations very often.")
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:08 am »

I'm not sure how much of this helps, but maybe some of it will.

I've made my own custom race of orcs, I've not based them off of anyone else's mods because I've never gotten around to looking at anyone else's, so I don't know how similar it might be, but I've observed them behaving in very odd ways that didn't make much sense until I read this thread.

My orcs have the LARGE_PREDATOR tag, and have gone on many rampages before, even when part of a civ, they also have almost all of the CURIOUSBEAST tokens, and while I have seen them steal, they prefer to kill instead; how ever, this may be from their SAVAGE tag, their LIKES_FIGHTING tag, their CRAZED tag, or their PRONE_TO_RAGE tag, they are very violent creatures.

They also have the following tags on each caste: NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER, SPOUSE_CONVERTER, and CONVERTED_SPOUSE, and therefore I end up with one male orc and one female orc, the same way night creatures do, before civilizations begin to appear in legends mode, and it also, of course, lets them convert other races into new orcs.

Maybe thats more stuff to test to add to your *<<*SCIENCE*>>*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 07:24:28 am »

They're probably violent from CRAZED and LIKES_FIGHTING. SAVAGE controls biomes, and PRONE_TO_RAGE won't do much unless the critter is normally not outright hostile.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:16:59 am »

They're probably violent from CRAZED and LIKES_FIGHTING. SAVAGE controls biomes, and PRONE_TO_RAGE won't do much unless the critter is normally not outright hostile.

I use PRONE_TO_RAGE because even with CRAZED and LIKES_FIGHTING, they will still sometimes run away when spotted, they both steal like kobolds and babysnatch like goblins, and they won't rage until they are made visible, so they either successfully steal or snatch from you, or you see them and they try to pummel your face in.

But thanks, that helps me out quite a bit.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:05 am »

Well, your tests prove that PRONE_TO_RAGE makes thieves fight. It makes sense; most wild animals run away from dwarves, but when badgers get enraged they attack anything that's not another wild animal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 10:21:14 am »

Well, your tests prove that PRONE_TO_RAGE makes thieves fight. It makes sense; most wild animals run away from dwarves, but when badgers get enraged they attack anything that's not another wild animal.

I still see my orcs trying to run away when the rage wears off, but their PRONE_TO_RAGE token is so high that they usually only make it a few steps until they re-rage and charge back in.

hmm... I think I'll go ahead and remove that SAVAGE tag from them, since it doesn't seem to make a difference as long as they have civilizations.
The Derail Thread

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 10:41:48 am »

Your orc rampages are probably due more to NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER than LARGE_PREDATOR. There are other civilized creatures with LARGE_PREDATOR (namely, many of the subterranean animal folk), but I haven't seen them rampage unless they get it from somewhere else. I have seen civilized creatures with NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER go off to live in a lair and rampage from time to time, though.

I'll definitely do some more rigorous research on PRONE_TO_RAGE, CRAZED, LIKES_FIGHTING, OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, VIEWRANGE, etc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:05 am »

Oh, THAT kind of rampage...I thought you meant "orc tries to kill everything" rampage.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:20 am »

Your orc rampages are probably due more to NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER than LARGE_PREDATOR. There are other civilized creatures with LARGE_PREDATOR (namely, many of the subterranean animal folk), but I haven't seen them rampage unless they get it from somewhere else. I have seen civilized creatures with NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER go off to live in a lair and rampage from time to time, though.

I'll definitely do some more rigorous research on PRONE_TO_RAGE, CRAZED, LIKES_FIGHTING, OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, VIEWRANGE, etc.

I hadn't thought about it being from the NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER token, I guess that makes a bit more sense, but in my games, I've had MANY giant tigers go on rampages before, I just have to hit the button to show all events, not just the important ones.

Oh, THAT kind of rampage...I thought you meant "orc tries to kill everything" rampage.

Well, that too, they go on rampages in legend mode in the history, and in fortress or adventurer modes, they go berserk and try to kill everything there, too.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 [2]