Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help me understand machinery and triggers  (Read 2838 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me understand machinery and triggers
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:16 pm »

Do both. Definitely.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:54 am »

Got it all working! Made a video, have a look

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 02:08:29 pm »

Also, remember that gears are special in that they are the only machines that actually toggle regardless of the type of signal they are given - if you link a lever to a gear assembly, pull it, then remove the lever, you will effectively be left with a gear assembly that is "off" by default instead of "on" by default, something which does not work with anything else.
As a more advanced note; you can also create a "toggle" effect on bridges, floodgates, grates, bars, and (with more difficulty) upright spears/spikes as well, by taking advantage of the fact that they ignore any commands sent during their waiting period before triggering, and the fact that if an "open" command is sent to an "open" device then it will be ignored. Thus if you send two opposite commands right after each other (such as by pulling a lever twice in quick succession), then any open devices will close and any closed devices will open.

(The open devices will ignore the first "open" command and then follow the "close" command right after it, while the closed devices will follow the "open" command and then ignore the "close" command as it is received during their wait period.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]