Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to prioritize jobs?  (Read 454 times)

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to prioritize jobs?
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:07:04 pm »

I want to be able to set a dwarfs primary job assignment which he should work on first if I've created an order for it, but if not then go ahead and work on lesser jobs. For instance, my carpenters or masons should go to their workshops to build items if I need beds or rock cabinets, but if no order is currently up then go and haul stone/items/furniture ect....

So is there a way to do this in the current version or at least planned in future versions? If not, are there any tools/utilities that can accomplish it?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to prioritize jobs?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »

I don't think there are any utilities for it. In-game, you can either disable hauling jobs on the dwarves you want making things, or keep on cancelling their hauling jobs using the 'remove creature' option in the Units screen. Some jobs can't be cancelled that way, so if everyone's tied up in hauling then you might find your carpenter taking on those 'store item in bag' or 'push track vehicle' jobs that aren't being done currently.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.