Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Log  (Read 2364 times)

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat Log
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:36:16 pm »

Ok, i have always had had some problems seeing the combat logs. I mean, having to pause the game to open, and having to do that constantly in order to keep updated with whats happening at the battle. Recently I was seeing a youtube video of someone playing DF and he had the battle log report open on a different tab, so he could pass the game with the "one step" and seeing each attack without the need to reopen the log after every single turn. I would like to know how to do that, including, if necessary, what tool is needed to do that (can we do that with the DFHack?).

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Log
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »

With further search I have found this, but seems to be quite old: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12882.0

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »

Yeah, that's really old. Prior to .31, released in 2010, combat reports weren't available in fortress mode at all unless you used an external program. In .31 and later, combat reports are available via the reports screen and nobody's made anything that allows them to be viewed in a separate window.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »

Here is the video I was talking about: http://youtu.be/yDFnMTM_iC4#t=37m35s

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

That looks like standard combat report to me, you can hit enter on one of them to see the details, if they're not too old ( I think there're 3,000 line or a month limit on how far back announcement and reports can be )

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »

That looks like standard combat report to me, you can hit enter on one of them to see the details, if they're not too old ( I think there're 3,000 line or a month limit on how far back announcement and reports can be )

Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. Did you see how he saw the combat log, but on a different window. He could read the log, and still have the "game" window open, so he could press the "one step" and see the log being updated...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »

Any in game messages are written to the gamelog.txt file in your DF directory. You can use a tool like mTAIL to view any updates in real time. Notepad++ would do this as well if you have it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. Did you see how he saw the combat log, but on a different window. He could read the log, and still have the "game" window open, so he could press the "one step" and see the log being updated...

Sorry, not seeing it, unless it's something verbally announced ( I'm deaf, so I'd not know ). All I'm seeing is what is most likely version 31. and in-game combat report being opened between bouts against forgotten beasts. Though it's probably what the rhesusmacabre said.

ed: I only watched five minutes from point the youtube was pointed at, so if it showed up sometimes, I missed it!

BriseRotule

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:54:02 am »

Your request as already been discussed here.

I personnaly find this feature cool, so I think i'll start developping a tool for that, i'll tell more this week-end, and find out if i have enough skill/time.

After looking at the gamelog (which is the only source of combat log i saw, please prove me wrong) there is no way to restitute the combat log present in the game, principaly because the name of the dwarf is not stated in the gamelog. The solution would be to read the memory when there is a combat ( i believe this is the way the game handle it, that would explain why we can't read the combat log after a while, or when restarting the game).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:46:30 am by BriseRotule »