Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck on a Fungiwood?  (Read 2112 times)

MrReks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stuck on a Fungiwood?
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:25:55 am »

Picture this: Gorhax McSneakyknife, adventure-man, headed northwest through the first cavern layer, searching for a way to the surface. He reaches a dead end, solid rock to the north and a multiple z-level drop to the west, and nearly gives in to the urge to backtrack and find a different path. BUT WAIT! Gorhax spots a soft, pillowy fungiwood up against the cliff's face below. He swan dives straight into it, suffering only a slight bruise on his left hand. SUCCESS! Now only a short drop to the cavern floor stands between him and the northwestern way. Carefully, Gorhax steps from his perch... except he doesn't! The sly mushroom has pinned our hero with its Gills of Evil, rendering him motionless save for his ability to sit/stand. To Gorhax, it seems the only option is to wait in ambush until some hapless giant cave spider wanders by and frees him. As he waits, one must wonder... Is there not a better way!?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on a Fungiwood?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:36:56 am »

Wait; you mean you can't use alt+move to move off the fungiwood?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrReks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:46:08 am »

Wait; you mean you can't use alt+move to move off the fungiwood?
Nope! Nor can I fast travel (being underground), wait (due to flying tag, I think), or even ignite the tree from above!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:09:20 am »

Based on that first paragraph, I really want to read more of the adventures of Gorhax! Except I won't get to. 'Cause he's gonna die of thirst on that fungiwood.

Perhaps DFHack or Runesmith have some way to autocut trees? Or even teleport.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25:37 am »

Are you still in the act of falling? What a horrible way to go; falling for all eternity, yet sitting on giant a mushroom.

Alright, first back up your last save on this world (so you're not stuck on the tree and can revert to last save, if you have one). Then, save and close the game and go into the save's raws ([DF directory]/data/save/[region with your game saved to it (not your backup copy!)]/raw/objects.)
Find creature_standard.txt in that folder, open it, and find the race you're playing as (it should read [CREATURE:x], where x is the race's ID (DWARF, HUMAN, ELF, GOBLIN, etc...) just hit ctrl-f and type in "dwarf]" or "human]" or w/e.) and insert [FLIER] somewhere after that ID tag, save and close the file. Then load your save again. Try and use shift+, and . keys, like in fortress mode, to fly up and down z-levels. That might get you off the tree. If it doesn't revert to your last save, I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrReks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:18:02 am »

As he continues to consider his position, Gorhax McSneakyknife feels a wave of unreality sweep over him. For a moment the dungeoneer feels as though he is suspended in time, before he suffers a total blackout. As he comes to, the details of his mishap return to Gorhax and he is forced to consider them anew. Even in his immobilized state, our human friend can easily manage the ensuing facepalm. Trying to understand how he had not considered the option of simply flying out of the fungiwood's wicked cap, Gorhax gently ascends. Then, as he swoops low to the ground, in search of some small target to take his mind off of the embarrassment of it all, the poor man feels the same strange feeling come over him for the second time in less than two minutes. Once again, he loses consciousness. He awakes yet again, but this time as flightless as a sea sponge and totally bewildered. Gorhax will never really understand what happened down there in the dark, but perhaps this is for the best. Perhaps the truth is best left to Armok and his tools.

(Thanks for the step-by-step directions, Eric! Worked like a charm!)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:09:12 am »

Haha that's really neat.

I wonder if using DFhack to remove the tree you were stuck on would have worked too.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:38 am »

Hahaha! Thanks, and good to hear it worked.

I don't know about removing a tree, but it might have been possible to create an obsidian floor underneath him ("of" command in the dfliquids interface.) If the game recalculates what he was standing on, then it should have been possible once again to jump, because instead of sitting ona  tree you'd be sitting on a solid floor. It all hinges, though, on whether it actually checks what you're standing on each turn.
I make Spellcrafts!