Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edge-of-map drawbridges  (Read 651 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edge-of-map drawbridges
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »

I just found out that you can build drawbridges on the edge of the map. If they're set to raise towards the edge, and you raise them, around the whole map, does that make you safe from everything non-flying? Can they be destroyed by off-map things? You can't build them on ramps, does that mean that if your map has map-edge ramps you cannot be safe this way? What happens to the caravan when you drawbridge the whole map off?
Any help appreciated

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Edge-of-map drawbridges
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:21 am »

You can remove ramps. And bridge walling edge of map off is the way some players does to disable siege, caravan, migrants and incoming animals. Caravans usually takes any opening they can take, but sometime they'll only appear from specific edge.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:33 pm »

If you do that it will stop everything from entering your map, flying or non-flying (because flying units still spawn at ground level). Nothing will show up or visit your fortress at all until you lower one of the drawbridges.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »

It's a well-known bug. Personally, I usually prefer to just wall off the fortress.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »

It's a well-known bug. Personally, I usually prefer to just wall off the fortress.

But if you wall off the fortress then youre still susceptible to fps death, due to sieges and mostly just tons of sieges where you have 100+ units on the map and your computer just isnt gunna cut it, although I personally have never taken the time to bridge off the entire embark before, it has always been an idea.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »

Sieges leave after a while, if you care that much. Generally, I wall off only smaller fortresses, so there's not much FPS death there, anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:44:01 am »

Actually, I was planning on drawbriding off one half of the map, and leaving the across-the-stream side for caravans and sieges. Marksdwarf and ballista practice :D

On a totally unrelated side note, can catapults build on rooftops hit enemies on the ground?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:50:49 am »

Siege engines can only hit units on same z level. Though dropping things will probably still hurt them, that'd rely far more on luck.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:36 am »

I'd advise some kind of trap where you drop rocks on an enemy.
Sig