Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: List of junk stones?  (Read 580 times)

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
List of junk stones?
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

Is there a list of junk stones or a list of what stones are better suited for certain tasks? I have a few projects that I don't want to waste valuable stones on, but not sure what is worthwhile to keep and what isn't. I've been going through the wiki for the stones I have, but most seem to have a use. So far I've flagged anhydrite, brimstone, cobaltite, jet, mica, microline, and orthoclase as good for random projects.

Tasks that I want to use junk stone for
  • Building a castle above ground and have been using gneiss, but also have a decent amount of chalk.
  • Want to get my gem cutters some practice on useless stone before moving on the gems, but not sure which to use
  • Making mugs to trade, have not set any restrictions

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: List of junk stones?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »

Chalk, dolomite, limestone, marble, and calcite are all Flux stones - worth twice as much as ordinary stone and usable for making pig iron and steel.
Obsidian is worth 3 times as much as ordinary stone and can be used to make short swords.
Gypsum, selenite, satinspar, and alabaster can all be made into plaster powder, an important item for your doctors.
Any other stone which doesn't yield an ore is pretty much worthless and equally suitable for whatever you want to use it for. If magma safety is a concern, check the wiki for a complete list.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Found this article shortly after making this post that lists out all the stones and their uses.

Is there a way to tell my workshops to only use a certain type of stone? Ie for the mugs I'd want to use up only worthless stone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »

Either set everything else to be economic stone, or use stockpiles that only take certain kinds of rock and have your workshop only take from those.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Found this article shortly after making this post that lists out all the stones and their uses.

Is there a way to tell my workshops to only use a certain type of stone? Ie for the mugs I'd want to use up only worthless stone.

Set a stockpile set to only accept a specific stone to give to a workshop you want to grind out whatever with those stones. And make sure there're no stone left behind from mining in the stockpile, they'll happily use anything that's IN it.

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »

Either set everything else to be economic stone, or use stockpiles that only take certain kinds of rock and have your workshop only take from those.

What do you mean by this? Do workshops not use economic stones? What are economic stones used for? How do you change the economic status of a stone?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

What do you mean by this? Do workshops not use economic stones? What are economic stones used for? How do you change the economic status of a stone?

You change the economic status of stones in the z-stones menu. Green ones can be used in any way possible; red ones will only be used in reactions that need them. For instance, if you made marble economic, it would only be used as flux, and not to make blocks or statues.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.