Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden dilemma  (Read 735 times)

TheDoomed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Golden dilemma
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

I am new to the boards, but have been playing DF on and off for several years.  I just downloaded the latest version and generated the oddest site I have ever settled.  I excavated down to z-5 and found only 1 metal, gold, lots and lots of gold.  I got curious and revealed and found 45+ levels of gold with some native silver mixed in.  No militarily useful metals at all.  Any suggestions as to how much I can smelt and sell without attracting an overflow of immigrants or goblinite bearing tourists?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Golden dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:17 am »

Silver can be used to make weapons, blunt silver weapons are pretty good. You could try digging just a little bit at a time, but I'd just get rich quick, build traps, trade for weapons and armor and use goblinite too.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32:57 am »

dwarf-dorado

my suggestion would be to avoid mining out any metal squares you can and get your masonry up and running quickly, get defenses built from that, and craft a minimum of gold trade goods to buy what resources you need (extra wood, iron bars, etc.)

meanwhile, target silver veins for excavation, and make all the silver hammers you can (Smith ALL the silver hammers!) with unskilled labor, use that to create a trap hallway- you know, the kind where there are deep pits that will kill whatever invader dodges into them- using 1-weapon weapon traps using all those silver hammers.

If you're lucky, the trap hallway should be ready to beat the goblinite out of the first invasion you get, which will help arm you to deal with successive waves.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »

Just a note, but you won't get any actual goblin sieges until you hit 80 dwarves, so a trap based defense (which can be easily set up just on trading for weapons if need be) can defend against any ambushes you get. Especially if you harness something like the goblin grinder to maximize your trap potential.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:31:23 pm »

i2amroy is right, but be warned that massive fort wealth increases can give you pretty sickening volumes of ambushers.  And you don't get warning before they start rampaging.

The best thing to do is to probably keep it low key initially and wall off a nice section outside the entrance.  Then make some traps with silver warhamemers in them (if you can get to the silver without mining too much gold and thus risking invasion) in a reasonable bottleneck.  Trade gold furniture or crafts for iron or other military metals, and especially premade gear.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

i2amroy is right, but be warned that massive fort wealth increases can give you pretty sickening volumes of ambushers.
IIRC, I've even managed to churn out enough wealth that I got them along with the first dwarven caravan.

Of course, a significant part of the wealth I was churning out was steel armor, so it wasn't much of a problem that time. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:24:53 pm by Hurkyl »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

Make a goblin grinder with menacing wooden spikes, and give 3x profits to all dwarf and human caravans. Melt down any unusable armor/weapon to forge your own, equip any usable ones.

That, supposing you can get enough wood. But if you don't have much wood (or have mountains of it, but forbidden) every caravan will bring a lot of it, dirt-cheap.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."