Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to reach the HFS  (Read 3240 times)

Pie Q

• Bay Watcher
  • Peasent Adventurer, High Musicality
    • View Profile
How to reach the HFS
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:53:40 am »

I have this penchant for creating incredibly badass adventurers. My last adventurer, "Hol earlypoke" was so badass he killed every historical figure in the world, became a necromancer, became a husk, swam in lava, and did other such miraculous thing before his save was corrupted.

My current Adventurer "Tordek MassivePick" has gone down the same path. His skills are so high that I train them on bogeyman now. That was until he started killing them all through straight up counter attacks. He's now ventured into the cavern layer to bitch slap some demons around. The only problem is, he's lost. How do I find the upright candy sword?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: How to reach the HFS
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:55:31 am »

Caverns =/= HFS.

Youll need a fort to find the thing you mentioned, and then only with a bit of luck. Find one, abandon, and go adventure there.
This is a blank sig.

Pie Q

• Bay Watcher
  • Peasent Adventurer, High Musicality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

That's disappointing. When Runesmith was updated frequently I was able to just teleport myself to hell if I wanted. Are there any tools that can do that now?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:17 am »

Why would you need a fort? Simply keep finding downward passages, you'll get there eventually. The hard part is backtracking.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 05:28:46 am »

No, i dont think there are downward passages into the HFS.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:33:18 am »

Usually there isn't even a downward passage to the second cavern layer, let alone the deeper parts... And there is never a passage to HFS, unless something goes horribly wrong. You'll have to provide that through a built fortress.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:02:56 am »

Are the slade fortresses open to the cavern layers, or we have to dig into them in dwarf mode?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:51 am »

You can access the HFS upon discovering a slade fortress, and aside from the holes you dig in fort mode, these slade fortresses are the only means to accessing HFS itself.

They can be found on the third layer, and you can find small slopes sometimes going down a level in the caverns, so it is possible to go to HFS with just adv mode.

Alternatively, hope you can find a small worldgen crack in the magma sea if you're immune to lava. That is by far the fastest way to get to HFS.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »

Easy.

1: Found a cave , preferably near a town (reason below)

2: wander at random in the first caver layer until yu find pasagge to the second.

3: Repit to reach layer 3

4: Repit until you found the curious structure.

5: FUN!

6: To come back, travel until you are below a town, then retire. You can telepot back from hell this way.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »

Easy.
Not very easy. Low visibility and tunnels are easy to miss, not to mention rare to begin with. The only two times I've made it to cavern layer 3 was by accidentally finding a passage, and the other time was by jumping down a one way ticket to a deep pit :P

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:10:12 am »

Can you even deconstruct that adamantine sword in adventurer mode? It's a building...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:18 am »

Can you even deconstruct that adamantine sword in adventurer mode?
Yup, as easy as pulling a lever :p

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:11 am »

Why would you need a fort? Simply keep finding downward passages, you'll get there eventually. The hard part is backtracking.

I'd still go with the abandoned fort option myself. Finding the HFS by exploring caverns is certainly a challenge and all, but it's a very long and dull challenge.